corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Type of black paint used for painting bumper tops/arches?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Type of black paint used for painting bumper tops/arches?
D-A-V-E-

User status: Offline
   12th Aug 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering is there any specific type I should use??

Thanks
Mikey_j

12th Aug 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got some from wilcos at lunch. Its made by hycote and has just got bumper and trim paint and then the colour written on it. Might be better on the market but i dont know?
jo1945

12th Aug 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used halfords satin black, didn't prime the plastic or anything and it's a really good finish, and dries really quick which is handy.
Richardhhha

12th Aug 09 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used halfords satin black all i did was take them off wash them in washing up liquid and then keyed the surface with a brillo pad. panel wiped and 5 coats mine were ace for 3 years..
DaveyLC

13th Aug 09 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use a heat gun, bring the plastic up like brand new.
D-A-V-E-

13th Aug 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seen on halfords website that they have grey/dark grey/ or black "bumper paint", was thinking of giving this ago...no-one tried it?
DaveyLC

13th Aug 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What ever you put on that plastic, it will eventually come off and look really shit.. Use a heat gun!
jo1945

13th Aug 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used bumper paint first, don't think it was halfords stuff though... anyway it went on all powdery and was a horrible finish and washed off 2 days later in the rain. The satin black has stayed on really well. I've got smoothed bumpers so I couldnt use a heat gun or I'd have a big grey stip where the groove was! Might be worth having a go with a heat gun first?
Root

14th Aug 09 at 02:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just sand down the gay bumps in the plastic arches or whatever you are painting, I reccommend using plastic primer, then spraying with some gloss black paint, just normal paint from halfords does the job mate.

When it's been done properly it looks the dogs bollocks! Much better than replacing bumpers with post 97 like 95% of people tend to do.
ash1293

14th Aug 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We used a product called 'forever black'

Its a plastic dye thats applied in a shoe polish style bottle. Takes a couple of coats but its been looking good for over a year now. The kit isn't cheap, but theres plenty for several cars and is much easier than prepping and painting.

New Poll