corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Machine polishers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Machine polishers
John

User status: Offline
4th Oct 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought the cheapest rotary I could find on ebay, using the pads it came with and some 3m fast cut plus I had lying in the garage.

Started with a waffle pad and the fast cut is the second most aggressive by the looks of the label, after splattering polish everywhere and braving it up to 3000rpm I thought I'd made a mess.

Got another flat pad out and stuck some meguiars normal hand polish on it, didn't go quite as fast, polished up lovely, I've got nearly all the old swirls and scratches out.

I'm going back to finish the bonnet soon and I'll see if I can get some pics.

I've managed more in 10 mins with a £50 rotary than I did in 2 days with a meguiars g220.

I've got an old astra to practice on, I wouldn't recommend trying it on something you were worried about.

A question if anybody can answer it.

A woollen pad, can I use that to say buff off wax I had left on for an hour or would it mega scratch the paint? Are they for something else?
sand-eel

4th Oct 09 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

link to rotary?
Jake

4th Oct 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silverline-Trade-Car-Sander-Polisher-Kit-5-Heads_W0QQitemZ170345624178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item27a963f272&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
sand-eel

4th Oct 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 year warrenty, ideal.
John

4th Oct 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one

It's not got the speed control thing that keeps the speed constant even if it's being laboured, wasn't much of an issue so far.

If you were using it day in day out as your trade it's fair enough buying a more expensive one, from my experience so far though that one would do a hobbyist fine.

Pictures are really difficult to get in natural light, garage has been stolen though so that's all I had

Couldn't get anything of use of the bonnet at all, tried a rear quarter though.

That is the side I didn't do, I have no before pics but it was in exactly the same condition.

These aren't detailing world style but they are taken on a dull day straight off my camera onto here, about as good as I can get.

I know there is still orange peel and it's not immaculate but it's amazing for half an hours work and my first try imo.

It's also a flat paint with no laquer, I've not had the bottle to go too deep as the pad was already covered in blue paint.

[Edited on 04-10-2009 by John]
Graeme
Premium Member

4th Oct 09 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars come from factory with orange peel so unless u flat and polish it u won't really get rid of it, there will b loades of paint on there to flat though but not really worth it.

Those polishers r very good for the money!
mart08uk

4th Oct 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really need to buy one... good results by the looks of it..nice one
Ant B

4th Oct 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want one of them
craig8
Premium Member

4th Oct 09 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was getting great results with a cheap silverline rotary, just takes a bit of practise to get right, flatted on polished my blue corsa with it and also polished up my black astra to a great shine with it

E36 328
Rich H

4th Oct 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wool pads are designed for heavy cutting so no I wouldn't suggest for using to buff off. TBH, buffing off should be done by hand imo.

For refining the FCP, maybe look at getting some Ultrafina (the blue top) this one is designed to remove hologrammes that heavier cutting will create.

[Edited on 04-10-2009 by Rich H]
Jake

4th Oct 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to burn through the paint dont you literally have to hold it there for ages on a high spin?
Rich H

4th Oct 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
to burn through the paint dont you literally have to hold it there for ages on a high spin?

That's the easiest way to do it lol. It's all down to how thin the paint is over the panel etc (usually thinner at edges and on creases etc) also the material the panels made of and how quickly it heats up etc.

Still don't recommend anybody just grabbing a rotary and giving it a go tbh.
Jake

4th Oct 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:

That's the easiest way to do it lol. It's all down to how thin the paint is over the panel etc (usually thinner at edges and on creases etc) also the material the panels made of and how quickly it heats up etc.

how do you know the thickness of the paint?
mart08uk

4th Oct 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Pop down scrappies and buy a cheap bonnet to practise on..?
John

4th Oct 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although I would never have just started on a car I was worried about, it's a lot harder to make a mess than is made out.

If you have no aptitude for this sort of stuff in general it's probably best steering clear but otherwise it's worth a shot.
Rich H

4th Oct 09 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

how do you know the thickness of the paint?

Paint thickness gauge.
Jake

4th Oct 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So does that measure all material between the guage and the shell?
ed

4th Oct 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yepp, gives you a measurement in microns of how much paint there is between you and the surface beneath the paint.
Graeme
Premium Member

4th Oct 09 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the type of guage.

Can get a thickness guage that only a college will use that is basically a magnet and measures in microns that are chepish.

Or get what a anal detailer gets so that they can charge double the amount and get a digital guage which are really not needed.

Graeme
Premium Member

4th Oct 09 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but with the basic magent ones wont work if there is filler under neath etc.
Jake

4th Oct 09 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Yepp, gives you a measurement in microns of how much paint there is between you and the surface beneath the paint.

what if it measures something ridiculous like 750 and you set up thinking there is loads of paint to play with in regards to polishing but actually the clear is only thin?
John

4th Oct 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get even fancier ones that tell you how thick each layer is.

I was using the guage that if I hit metal I'd went too far.
ed

5th Oct 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What John said, or you learn the hard way why people like Rich H charge a few quid to do this. As it is quite a skilled job to do it nicely.

As with anything, practice makes perfect

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Machine polishers 24 database queries in 0.0100160 seconds