corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Dodgy fan

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dodgy fan
Generation

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 09 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm REALLY BAD with electrics, how woul i hard wire i fan in for time being to a switch, as car overheating
Ad-Jackson1990

22nd Oct 09 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a plug on the bottom of the rad on drivers side,when i did this i just put the 2 wires together and then the fan comes on with the ignition
Generation

22nd Oct 09 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sounds like a good idea, but would like a switch, as fan is very noisy to have on all the time
Ad-Jackson1990

23rd Oct 09 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just extend each wire into the car on to a switch then
Root

23rd Oct 09 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, the fan may be noisy but remember it's a necessity, if you don't turn it on, you could fuck your car.

buy a switch, wire it up the the plug at bottom of fan on LH side if you at front of car, wire that up to battery, with an in-line fuse, add a fuse that suits and test your new fan using switch.

good luck, i prefer using the automatic 96 degrees computer system though.
Generation

23rd Oct 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do i get an in-line fuse:S

Thanks !
I would prefer it worked by itself too, how did you get it to come on at 96 degrees
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Oct 09 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As he said - it's automatic, it's how it was designed to work from factory, so as long as you have everything working correctly and connected up as standard, it will come on between 96-98 degrees.
Generation

23rd Oct 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok, I always thought it kicked in later than that anyway. What should I start with?
Generation

23rd Oct 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To check the fan works do i put a piece of wire between wires going into the switch? Or put it between connection ON the switch
johnhara1

23rd Oct 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You unplug the switch and bridge the two pins on the plug.

It will spark and your fan will spin. You then know the fan works.

Replace the fan switch that screws into the radiator and it'll come on at 96/98 degrees.
Root

23rd Oct 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want an in-line fuse then try a motor shop, maybe an audio shop will have one but make sure it's 12 volt wire and not speaker wire or owt dumb lol
Generation

24th Oct 09 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

REALLY bad with wiring, could i ask a massive favour and ask you to draw simple diagram for me, I am by far the worst person i know at electrics lol
Root

24th Oct 09 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trust me mate, it's an old corsa...it does overheat in traffic. as long as the fan kicks in at 98 degrees latest. It's fine...if it doesn't, that's the only reason you need to wire in a fan unless a big c20let is melting your fan or some shit but i doubt that.

Let your car idle until 100 degrees. If it actually reaches 100 without the fan coming on (you will hear it), then turn your car off immediately. You'll most likely need a new thermo or some kinda sensor. Don't worry about wiring up a manual switch for the fan because how fucking annoying would it be to have to constantly switch it on and off?

Just see if your fan kicks in before 100 degrees, if it does...all is perfect. They are old cars and do 'overheat' in traffic. Despite it being called overheating, the fan kicks in to make it cooler, it cures the problem, although it's not a problem. Basically if your fan works, don't worry yourself. If it doesn't, I'll draw you a simple diagram. It's not difficult. Just think about it...The plug goes into the fan...cut the wire, through rubber grommit, put a switch on dash, make sure it's a switch, pos, neg, switch wire, wire it onto the battery with a fuse in the middle so you don't fuxor your fan....thinking about it though, your fan has a built-in relay. So if you wanted to do it you will probably have to even build a relay into the wiring..not worth it IMO.
Generation

24th Oct 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know they get hot, I have had a corsa for 2 years!
it gets way past 100, Been told about relay, which i have not even checked ye, as don't know whioch one it is

[Edited on 24-10-2009 by Generation]
Root

24th Oct 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just repair it before you think about making a manual switch, what engine is in your corsa?
check the relay and fuse

[Edited on 24-10-2009 by Root]
Generation

24th Oct 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah been asking about relays whereabout, apparantly varies form model to model cant check manaul as thats for old engine, and to skint to buy new one:@
Generation

26th Oct 09 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bump anyone have an idea on the relay location
Root

26th Oct 09 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's just above the fuses on the far right i think

New Poll