corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another bike track day mince...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another bike track day mince...
Daimo B

User status: Offline
5th Nov 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good day. Started off fairly damp, so went steady. Then I lost my bike key before my 2nd session, only to find 15 minutes into it that it had gone through a hole in my leathers and slid down inside to my knee. Went to shoot out for the last few minutes to have it reg flagged just as I was about to jump on. Bugger...

Then it chucked it down with rain, I lost total confidence in the front end and started not to enjoy myself. I found the front end very unsteady and was unable to keep the throttle pinned due to the front wallowing about.

Then lunch, took the chance to wind the suspension down a little (first time adjusting it). God what a difference it made. A little heavier to turn into corners, but I found it far better under braking and could keep the throttle pinned coming out of bends instead of mildly opening it.

I didn't touch me knee down all day, but I had a chappy come and see me on a triumph triple who said he was behined me running at the same pace, but whilst he was scraping his knee all the time I wasn't hanging off enough. Kinda good really as I guess that shows unless your really flying, you really don't need your knee down (more concentrating on lines, braking, etc). Still, the morning sucked, but the afternoon rocked. We even had sunshine for a bit.

Last session kinda sucked though, 3 laps in, just got tyres up to temp, and someone had a big off so red flagged. Came in, went out, 3 laps later, just up to temp again, someone else does the same bloody thing.. Session over...

Still, good day, weather was pretty good considering time of year. So can't wait till 2010 to do some more

Video...

http://www.youtube.com/user/D4MOB

And a couple of my dad on his LE model Most people who own these have them in shiney garages and display cabinets, but they are made to be ridden dammit!!!! Although due to having so much metal in his legs these days, he found it quite hard moving on the bike, cranking his metal peg legs out. Plenty fast enough to outbrake me going into Paddock though (I started about the 150 marker from about 135mph)...

ACE day, weather was pretty kind to us (bar the morning). Can't wait until 2010 when I can go out some more. Was really nice as it was me, my dad, and my best mate, plus some bloke I used to go to school with who I recently found out are also bikers.

PS, SMB DizzyRascel with your bike lean angle

[Edited on 05-11-2009 by VXR]
flybikeslee

5th Nov 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should swap knee sliders with your dad look like a good day, how much was it all in?
DizzyRebel

5th Nov 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting better, you're looking a bit more comfortable on the bike but still need to hang off the slag a bit more! Nice to see you dont stick your leg out like a sail any more
Daimo B

5th Nov 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
you should swap knee sliders with your dad look like a good day, how much was it all in?

I still haven't touched down since my first track evening a couple of months back Very lame, but I was going far quicker round the bends than so many others who were scraping their knees all the way round bends... Just goes to show.. In the other track evening I did though, I did hang the knee out just to scrape down. I found I rode faster but not hanging off so much today. More a case of "i really don't want to bin my pride and joy, so as long as im riding faster than some others who have their knees down, im happy"

Thats not to say that I had loads of track bikes come flying past me though, as I did

Track day was £85
£15 of fuel
£25 of stupid pictures
Free tea n coffee thanks to one of the non tracking guys who brought the lot, tea, coffee, kettle, chocolate, and biscuits
jr

5th Nov 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you not concerened at potentiall wrecking your pride and joy

my dads mates went and bought old zx7rs because of owning nice stuff
Daimo B

5th Nov 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the sole reason I can't push that bit harder. There were 5 crashes alone in my group today. I had someone go straight on at Druids in front of me which I nearly followed him in, and the same at the end of cooper straight.... I hated the wet becuase of it too

Dad and I are already chatting about getting some cheap track bikes and just hiring a van whenever we want to use them. Less worry about dropping them then.

Thing is, i dont want to crash, but if it happens it happens I guess. Rather it at a track day than on the road
jr

5th Nov 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed mate, much safer inviroment

but i reckon youd be a million times better on a old blade or even what my dads got

you 2 couldnt have chosen anything rarer to try and destroy
SVM 286

5th Nov 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damian! Benelli! Jammy get!

Btw, am - pm -
Daimo B

6th Nov 09 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i'd relly like to get a crappier bike, it came up yesterday quite a few times in discussion. I got room in the garage But whether the missy will let me seeing as im meant to be saving for a wedding Pass...

SVM - Spanktastically stunning

Body positioning was all wrong yesterday, but I was just having fun. Will work on riding properly next time methinks.

I've got a horrble cold/run down today, and I ache like buggery, and I can't keep my eyes open atm... Worth it still though
jr

6th Nov 09 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you read pb mag at all ?

they got an ex dutch championship superbike for about £600, new faring and the normal matiance, sorted
Half Pint

6th Nov 09 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£600 would pay for the wedding cake JR, Donna will not be happy with this encouragement....

Half Pint

6th Nov 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but..... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=35248
jr

6th Nov 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
£600 would pay for the wedding cake JR, Donna will not be happy with this encouragement....

this is daimo were talking about, i reckon he can be convinced to spend that easily
jimmy 2.1

6th Nov 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you had a good day, but would i hell do one in November. Been there and done it, too damp and cold!

My last one was a track evening at Cadwell....

http://www.britishsportphotography.com/gallery2/v/TrackDays/17th+Aug+-+Cadwell+_MSV_/evening/Group+3+Adv/RED+DUCATI/
Kano

6th Nov 09 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll sell you a nice 7r to throw around some tracks VXR..

Looks like you had fun but I couldnt do one in this weather, bikes up on its stands and under a blanket for the winter never mind on track..
Kano

6th Nov 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 2.1
Looks like you had a good day, but would i hell do one in November. Been there and done it, too damp and cold!

My last one was a track evening at Cadwell....

http://www.britishsportphotography.com/gallery2/v/TrackDays/17th+Aug+-+Cadwell+_MSV_/evening/Group+3+Adv/RED+DUCATI/

Were you made to tape up the dzus fasteners or did you do it just to stop them marking the fairings?
SVM 286

6th Nov 09 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eagle eyes there Kano.
jimmy 2.1

6th Nov 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just a thing i did when i raced. Many club racers do it. Its just a precaution for if the fasteners come out
Daimo B

6th Nov 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't spend much on a track bike, something IL4 (boring ) and probably Jap as they last the longest, and also I wouldn't care if it spat me off (bar injuries). Its a possible plan, whether she'll let me get a 3rd bike instead of saving for the wedding is a different matter

Looking good Mr Jiminey Some nice shots there too

Weather, we were lucky tbh. It did rain, it did get wet, but the afternoon was as perfect as could be for November.

I've got a stinking cold now though, bunged up like a goodun. Still, worth it
Daimo B

6th Nov 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
I'll sell you a nice 7r to throw around some tracks VXR..

£500?

Long way to travel for it
Daimo B

6th Nov 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, someone asked the difference between mine and my dads on a bike site, so..... (bearing in mind they look the same to the untrained eye).

LE has a few more bhp, and also a magnesium engine, mag wheels, carbon fibre bodywork (note the tail sections, mine as a 2 peice, LE is one peice), carbon fibre tank, Ohlins suspension, full titanium exhaust, quick release wiring loom, full sprocket kit, adjustable engine mounts, adjustable rear swinging arm...

"Off the top of my head, im sure theres a few more bits though. £25k brand new.... (didn't pay that for it). Will be a collectable in a few years, only 150 worldwide."
Adam_B

6th Nov 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why are you wearing a high vis in the first images?
Daimo B

6th Nov 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went into Intermediate class, but as it was damp put on a high vis vest to let the other riders know im not going to be riding as fast as them.

tbh, 3/4 of the group had them on, it was only really the full track bike riders that didnt.

By the time it dried out I was running at a much faster pace and overtaking more than was being overtaken by.

Still got overtaken quite a bit though

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by VXR]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Another bike track day mince... 23 database queries in 0.0168822 seconds