corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Using your mobile while driving - its getting popular again!

Poll: Using your mobile while driving - its getting popular again!
  I use my mobile phone while driving
  I never use my mobile phone while driving

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using your mobile while driving - its getting popular again!
noshua

User status: Offline
11th Dec 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't answer the phone or read a text whilst actually driving simply because I can't afford to get 3 points, as I'm not out of the probational 2 year period.

Although, when sat a set of traffic lights, if I have had a text I will read it, which yes, is technically using a phone whilst driving.

I will admit that once out of the 2 year baby period I will probably use my phone whilst driving.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Dec 09 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a number of times been behind people who have no lane discipline and adjust their speed without warning and on overtaking, they're on the phone or texting. Bloody annoying. Particularly on a couple of occasions I've been driving a big vehicle or towing and I have to approach the back of their vehicle, make the decision to overtake, ensure it's safe to do so, pull out, pass them while checking my mirror to see where they are, they generally match my speed or even pass back on the nearside, or eventually I get past because I'm generally limited to 56 or 60 so I pull back in and generally have a load of hassle and messing just because they're not driving well.

Its completely inconsiderate and it makes you an absolutely terrible driver in 99% of cases.

I do think there are circumstances where for example, if you have cruise control to assist with your speed and you're still maintaining good lane discipline and checking your mirrors, that there's no reason being on a phone should impair you driving but the vast majority of people turn in to complete hazards.

I applaud anything which penalises people for driving inconsiderately.
Neil Dagens

11th Dec 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont answer my phone if it rings and dont make calls in case i get spotted by police, which i have before but he let me off without any points or anything. but im sad to admit i do text sometimes which imo is more dangerous as i have a touch screen so i keep taking glances at the screen so i think its worse and i see many people texting on the road.
Edd

11th Dec 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do it all the time im actually really good at it, have perfected the old looking as if im just resting my head on my hand routine even drove right by a copper van one day doing it and got no pull

extra cool points for me
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Dec 09 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to be able to text without looking

cant now because of my touch screen so dont do it.

just got a bluetooth head unit for phone calls
BarnshaW

11th Dec 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will not answer a call whilst driving, i will send texts, and for the comments about bikers, yea people may swerve over the road but i cannot count the amount of times i see bikers undertaking people, weaving in and out of traffic and generally being knobs, only last week someone local on a bike ended up under a van on a roundabout near me.
Lynny

11th Dec 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Lynny
Our radios aren't handheld devices, we don't have to hold them to speak on them
all vehicles have car sets in, and the button you press to speak is on gear stick, or steering wheel.....

So try again

You'll find that a lot of panda police (certainly in Bedfordshire) still have the motorola radios with the external palm mic fixed to their vests, which requires you to press the trans/rec button - so technically not hands free....

i work in your border force..

Herts constabulary, We have the Same airwaves system as beds, In all our vehicles we can put the radios to act as a bluetooth system. but turns back into a normal phone/walkie talkie when out of the vehicle....

I'm in Durham? Herts doesn't border Durham?
that sounds like a canny system, hopefully we'll get it one day, just got new pocket sets too and they're not that fancy!

djgritt
Premium Member

11th Dec 09 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use mine, it's hard to do my job without using the phone on the move

But, my new chariot arriving soon has inbuilt Bluetooth, so that'll sort me out.
fir3vip3r

12th Dec 09 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
all vehicles have car sets in, and the button you press to speak is on gear stick, or steering wheel.....

So try again

You'll find that a lot of panda police (certainly in Bedfordshire) still have the motorola radios with the external palm mic fixed to their vests, which requires you to press the trans/rec button - so technically not hands free....

Herts constabulary, We have the Same airwaves system as beds, In all our vehicles we can put the radios to act as a bluetooth system. but turns back into a normal phone/walkie talkie when out of the vehicle....

I'm in Durham? Herts doesn't border Durham?
that sounds like a canny system, hopefully we'll get it one day, just got new pocket sets too and they're not that fancy!

was to doms quote in Beds sorry for confusion

it is a good system, when it works
Carl

12th Dec 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also it doesn't matter how skillfull the driver is if at the point you look down is the point where something unexpected happens. You've just delayed your stopping distance big time.
mwg

12th Dec 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That could happen when looking at the radio
Carl

12th Dec 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
That could happen when looking at the radio

True, so why add even more chances by also messing with a mobile phone?

GF-91
Banned

12th Dec 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw a coppe texting before, on his crappy motorola. Was walking past and he knew I'd seen him and then tried to hide the phone innetween his legs as though it would undo what I'd seen.
corsaproject2010

12th Dec 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think being on the phone is so bad (in a call..)

but texting, you cant text and drive at the same time.. not enless you hold the phone in front of you, and your eyes can focus on the phone and everything thats going on the road at the same time..

if your in a call though its not to bad
Lynny

12th Dec 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I remember the dayz when lynny was into the simpler things such as building towers out of beer cans & now she's right miss law & order!

wakey1512

12th Dec 09 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think texting while driving is more dangerous as making a call, your looking down when texting which makes you more likely to look up and miss something, making calls has fuck all risk tbh points is way ott
Dom

12th Dec 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

So try again

I still regularly see panda police use the palm mic though, certainly around here, hence why i didn't realise it was fitted to all cars and thinking it was only traffic cars that carried the bluetooth system.
Lynny

12th Dec 09 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I remember the dayz when lynny was into the simpler things such as building towers out of beer cans & now she's right miss law & order!

forgot the impressive one:

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by Lynny]
Eck
Premium Member

12th Dec 09 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I text on my phone whilst driving quite a lot tbh.
Graham88

13th Dec 09 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lynny, you're now on my cool list
xa0s
Banned

13th Dec 09 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally have it on loudspeaker and rest the phone on my shoulder or behind my head to be honest. Is that considered as being on the phone if it's just resting somewhere on loud speaker?
Lynny

13th Dec 09 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Lynny, you're now on my cool list

Geordie drinking session!

<<  3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Using your mobile while driving - its getting popular again! 23 database queries in 0.0174220 seconds