corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike peeps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike peeps
fresh_creps

User status: Offline
28th Dec 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of doing my bike license sometime next year but just wanted to know a bit about it all and the costs etc.
Am i right in thinking you have to do a cbt first then your theory then actual test? And once you have your license your only allowed to ride a 125cc for a year? Just wanted to check with those that have done it recently as i hear they keep changing what happens? Any ideas of cost to get your full license?

Cheers!
Graham88

28th Dec 09 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do the whole test in the space of a week, Monday to Friday, with the test on the Friday.

So you need to do your theory before you start.

Usually it goes:

Monday: CBT
Tuesday & Wednesday: 125cc bikes
Thursday & Friday: 500cc bikes then test

That's presuming you are over 21. If you're under 21 you are on a 125 all week and once passed you're on a 33bhp limit for 2 years then you can ride full power.

Cost is probably in the region of £600 nowadays.
Gazdaman

28th Dec 09 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do your CBT, costs about £100, lasts a day.
That allows you to:

Ride a bike up to 125cc as long as it makes less than 14.6bhp on L plates with a provisional licence. No passengers and no motorways.

Then you do your theory and do your test.

If you're over 21 you do your DAS and you can ride anything when you pass.

If you're under 21 you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.

If you have your 21st birthday before your 2 years is up, you can take a further test to remove the restriction.

Theory is about £30. Actual test fee is about £50 I think. (Long time since I did mine).

Lots of people seem to do a week long course with bikes. Personally I did my CBT, bought a 125cc, rode that for 6 months, did a day of lessons with a local bloke a few days before my test and passed first time.

Graham's right though, a course is probably £5-600.

But you don't have to do it like that.

Gaz
fresh_creps

28th Dec 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks a lot boys,clears a few things up.i'm 22 so def wouldn't wanna be stuck riding a 125cc for 2 years! So if i don't do a week long course what do ya reckon the cheapest i can be on the road for?how much are lessons roughly i've driven since i was 17 so know all the theory etc.
Graeme
Premium Member

29th Dec 09 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If u can't do a weeks one but split it up over a while will b about the same, maybe a bit more do budget£700 ish. Theory on a bike is slot different to a car iwould do ur theory first and get that out the way before you do ur cbt etc!
Bonney

29th Dec 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The whole test scheme changes as of 27th April this year.

Now it's a 3 part test which is:
Theory
Practical (On site)
Practical (On road)

What the on site part consists of is:

At least two manoeuvres carried out at slow speed, including a slalom

At least two manoeuvres carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

At least two braking manoeuvres, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

Here is a rough idea of the course.

>LINK<

So for this test you need:

CBT Certificate
Theory test pass cartificate for a motorcycle
Motorcycle under 33bhp (I think)

You will only be allowed to take your road ride when you pass this part of the test. You will then get a certificate to say you passed this part which you bring with you to your road ride.

There is more info >HERE<

Think for rough costs, Its about:

Between £100-£150 for the cbt (Depends on the riding school)
Between £30-£90 a lesson (Again, Depending on riding school)
Around £40 for your Theory test
Around £90 for your Practical test. This includes both modules and getting your licence changed with the new catogory.

But even with the new test, You are still restricted for 2 years EVEN if you are over 21.

I did all mine just before it changed, So luckily I dont have the restriction.

The best part, If you have been driving a car for more than 2 years (The probation period as they call it), You're not restricted to the 6 points, you stay on the 12 points (If you know what i mean)

Hope this helped you, Its what I can remember been told by an instructor I know

corsa120

29th Dec 09 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did mine at bmw northampton last january and was 450 for 4day das course and i passed first time... yippee!!!!

now riding suzuki bandit 1200 s

insurance with carol nash is 278quid third party fire and theft, tax 66 pounds a year haha

Bonney

29th Dec 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, There is a long wait for the Practical tests, As this daft government didn't get their arsed in gear and get enough of the new test centres ready for the change over.
It was supposed to go live in October 2008 but there was none ready.
And don't worry about the on site. Aparantly its a new type of road surface that has loads of grip. Theres one near where i live.
fresh_creps

29th Dec 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys,loads of help. So do you reckon i'll be better off doing my test before april 27th or has it already changed? I really don't wanna be restricted for 2 years, not that i wanna drive like a loon but i wanna be able to get the bike i want soon as poss while i can!
PaulW

29th Dec 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Test has already changed, its a 2-part test, and very easy tbh...

All prices for the tests are here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022530

Also, DAS will cost you atleast £600 on its own (without anything else) some places include the CBT in with that, others don't, so expect the CBT to cost anything between £100 to £120
CORSA NUT

29th Dec 09 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So now even if i'm 29 and been driving for 10 years i can only ride a 33 bhp for 2 years when i pass the test like said above?? Fuck that then
Bonney

29th Dec 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think thats the case.
fir3vip3r

29th Dec 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
So now even if i'm 29 and been driving for 10 years i can only ride a 33 bhp for 2 years when i pass the test like said above?? Fuck that then

or just do what 99% of restricted riders do and dont restrict it
Bonney

29th Dec 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

or just do what 99% of restricted riders do and dont restrict it

Was going to say that
Graeme
Premium Member

29th Dec 09 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But u will need a certificate for insurance and if u get stoped! I got stoped twice and had to produce it!

But nothing stoping u getting it fitted, ride for a month to get used to and get it taken out, normally just washers in exhaust inlet and outlet!
Neil

29th Dec 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the new style test in November this year and I'm not restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. Pretty sure you're still only restricted if you're under 21.
dannymccann

29th Dec 09 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilM
I did the new style test in November this year and I'm not restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. Pretty sure you're still only restricted if you're under 21.

Correct, if you are 21+ and do the DAS you can ride unrestricted on anything.

Im 21, but I did the restricted test cos I didnt have £700 at uni to do a test, I spent £300 getting passed and £1000 riding around

My ZXR400 isnt restricted, but I am looking into it, but with the new job based in the same building as the missus I dont use it everyday as I used to so have lower chance of getting caught

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike peeps 23 database queries in 0.2263830 seconds