corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recovery Driving

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recovery Driving
MarkSport

User status: Offline
13th Jan 10 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody do this as a job/or know anybody?

I've really been tempted to go for this as a career although it's one of my 2 choices with the other being become an electrician.Was speaking to a guy the other day who told me basically everything i need.It i get the licence to drive 7.5 tonne lorrys i can work for companys.then its my choice to do class 1 and 2 hgv catergorys.
MarkSport

13th Jan 10 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found this link,this is the sort i would be doing

http://www.advantagehgv.co.uk/?gclid=COKN2JeSoJ8CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ
Eck
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 00:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anywhere else is like Ace Recovery, driving everywhere at full speed is a legal requirement. Without due care and attention is optional.
jibjob

13th Jan 10 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends what type of recovery you want to do. You wont be able to drive anything more than a transit flat bed on a 7.5 licence. The proper flatbeds weigh more than 7.5 on their own and then you have the weight of the vehicle youre recovering on top of that. Then you need hi-ab licence, reach licence, working on motorways training, etc etc. I work next to a recovery place and im pretty good mates with all of them and i asked them about it not so long ago. If youre just going to be pottering around for a small firm you'll be able get away with the 7.5 licence and on the job training but if you want to work for AA, RAC, etc then you will need your class 1 possibly 2 first and then you will need to do your other tests as and when you want to work on a vehicle/place that requires them.
MarkSport

13th Jan 10 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bad experience i take it? I have been driving 5 years today and im 24 thursday.really really tempted
jibjob

13th Jan 10 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2ud mate
MarkSport

13th Jan 10 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replied mate cheers
B3KAN

13th Jan 10 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
If anywhere else is like Ace Recovery, driving everywhere at full speed is a legal requirement. Without due care and attention is optional.

Ive had that experience with them never again

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by B3KAN]
Eck
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 01:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get to see them belting around at full tilt on most days
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 05:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was almost sideways in a aa van with my corsa on an a frame

love icy driving
Eck
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 05:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkSport
bad experience i take it? I have been driving 5 years today and im 24 thursday.really really tempted

They just drive like lunatics tbh
MarkSport

13th Jan 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been with a few but never had bad drivers.I'll try stay clear of that company
Kano

13th Jan 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Green Flag doing this. Work for a local company thats contracted to them.

I do 24 hrs on call from my house, 5 days a week. I drive a Vito van so no need for extra license although I'm getting put through my class 1 so I can use our flatbed aswell. I mainly do breakdowns and roadside repairs but we do accident recoveries aswell.

Its a good job if you dont mind being out at all hours. Every days different aswell which I like. If you want to know anything else give me a shout..

Heres my van doing what it does best, blocking roads..

MarkSport

13th Jan 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano

Every days different aswell which I like.

Thats what I'm after .cheers kano

I've been chatting alot to jibjab on u2u last night who has gave me alot of info (cheers dude). I've also looked into getting my class c licence.I've been driving 5 years today with no accident/points or bans so fingers crossed i can keep that up
Kano

13th Jan 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

They just drive like lunatics tbh

Take it you've not encountered one of our vans on the road...
Kano

13th Jan 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kano

Every days different aswell which I like.

Thats what I'm after .cheers kano

I've been chatting alot to jibjab on u2u last night who has gave me alot of info (cheers dude). I've also looked into getting my class c licence.I've been driving 5 years today with no accident/points or bans so fingers crossed i can keep that up

Its not easy to walk into the aa, rac, green flag etc.. I was lucky that I knew the owner of the company I'm with and my best mate already works for him..
Fro

13th Jan 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad has set up his own recovery/salvage company. He's toned down the recoveries lately and is gearing more towards removal and disposal.

As said above everyday is different, and you get to see some interesting cars/problems.

But he has had the odd weirdo in his cab when towing their car somewhere

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Recovery Driving 23 database queries in 0.0960109 seconds