corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Where do I stand?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where do I stand?
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jan 10 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car battery has died and i need it replacing.

Car is sub 3 years old and covered by manufactuers warrenty, so thought i would ask and see if it was covered.

They advised no, only covered for the battery for a year - Which i didnt think was very good but anyway Sales of Good act specificy a reasonable amount of time.

So went about getting a price for a new battery (an excat replacement).

She gave me the price and figures etc and said it was covered by a 3 year warrenty to which i just laughed at and left it at that.

Before ringing Ford themselves to winge do i have any ground to stand on?

How can they offer a one year warrenty on a product that if you buy seperatly comes with a three year warrenty? Surely they cant.

Any advice would be superb

SXI - Matt

15th Jan 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some company's buy in good's with out the original manafactures warrenty and they get them alot cheaper they then put there own warrenty on which is what it sound's like ford have done they will only put a year as they not its a pretty much certain they will last a year and they get them alot cheaper as dont come with warrenty, company i work for do exact same thing but with bikes, the bikes come from the original manafacture with 3 / 5 year warrenty when bought from them we buy them alot cheaper and put our own 1 year on

[Edited on 15-01-2010 by SXI - Matt]
Toby
Premium Member

15th Jan 10 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah that makes sense, but if that is there policy why not put it as one year when they sell it seperatly instead of three?

Surely Sales of Goods act would suggest that if they can sell this battery with three years warrenty then it should last that long regardless of the manufactuers warrenty they put on it when purchased with the vehicle.

[Edited on 15-01-2010 by Toby]
steven_r2008

15th Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sales of goods act under eu law actually gives you 5 years warranty if you purchase as a consumer. that is what is classed as 'reasonable time'. i wouldn't say 1 year for a bettery is reasonable at all. however to get an item replaced under the sales of goods act as oppose to warranty you have to pay for an independant evaluation of the item that will prove that it is shot and it was down to no fault of your own (just gone due to general usage) as soon as you have this they have to replace.

with regards to it supposedly having 3 years on it i dont know where you stand with that. i would have thought that if they purchased it with 3 years they should be able to claim it back under the warranty so why cant you :s
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well Ford told me to get fucked essentially. It works as above but they coulndt give me an answer when i mentioned my point about differnt warrenties for the same product and the same applications
John

16th Jan 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a service part, I wouldn't expect it replaced. Vauxhall have a brakes, battery, clutch warranty, suggesting that the battery isn't covered otherwise.
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the battery is covered but for only one year but as i was saying its stupid as they sell it seperatly with a 3 year warrenty
Tiger

16th Jan 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose if you battery alarm clock though, for example, and the batteries died, even though the product is covered by a 1 year warranty, the batteries are exempt from that warranty...
Ben G

16th Jan 10 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's true mate.

same as trim is only covered for 12 months aswell.

my seat is making a funny noise when accelerating and braking. nothing they can do though so i just left it.
_Allan_

16th Jan 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a new one, exactly the same.
Keep it a year then take the fucked one back and say it's duff

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Where do I stand? 23 database queries in 0.0093250 seconds