corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cud i colour code my arches myself?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cud i colour code my arches myself?
ady28

User status: Offline
10th Feb 10 at 02:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if so whats the best way to do it?
thanks
Generation

10th Feb 10 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mate, yeah its easy to do yourself, plenty of people have done. All youi need to do is sand them down properly get some plastic primer from halfords, the colour paint you need nd soem laquer
ady28

10th Feb 10 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many coats of paint?
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 02:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright ady28 what colour is your car? ..

i done mine just before christmas last year with the paint from halfords mine was arden blue & to be honest mate the paint match from halfords was shite must say they look better but there a slightly lighter shade for some reason..

so im going down the compressor route now and just learning before i try but ive only bought a compressor as i have a spoiler,sideskirt's,mirrors & of course the arches & top bumper lines what are black .. & probley some interior parts maybe more or yeah and my ugly ass boot lock surround
ady28

10th Feb 10 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get semi smoothed mate i hate
and black mate
so colour match wudnt be noticeable
Richardhhha

10th Feb 10 at 02:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to ether sand the arch trims smooth or just key them with some grey brilo pad.. then you need to clean the surface just get some panel wipes, then your plastic primer then a coat of ether light or dark primer depends on the cars colour. then gently flat that off, panel wipe again then go for a good few layers of colour then colour sand then its ether 1 more coat of colour or laqure i cant remember really.. best ask tomnova he can tell you better than me
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 02:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyways this is what i done ..

1.sanded them down with 400 wet & dry

2.sanded them down with 600 wet & dry

3.washed them in a weak soloution of fairy liquid

4.primer'd 1st coat lightly misted on 2nd & 3rd wet but not too wet so it drips

5.sanded down again with 600 wet & dry & washed them over again with soapy water

6. 2 or 3 coats of paint

7. this step all depends upon if your sprayng metalic colour paint if you are skip this step but if its a solid colour light rub paint down with 1200 then 1500 wet & dry

8.wash down the parts you just rubbed down with again soapy water
& obviosly dry them off propery every time you wash them..

9.now its the lacquer time people have differnt opinions on this part but this is how i done it & the lacquer part came out perfect just the acctual paint was a lighter shade .. so anyways i misted a light coat of the lacquer onto the arch's then left it for five just enough time for the lacquer still to be tacky/sticky then i went back out and put a nice wet coat onto the arches but remember not to wet dont get carried away let it dry/flash for 15 minutes then go & put another wet but not to wet coat on of the lacquer then let it dry atleast 24 hours before touching the parts you lacquerd as it takes slightly longer to dry than the paint in my opinion

10. put them on your car after a day or two then after say 2 weeks buy your self some 2000 grit wet & dry paper from ebay only place i could find it flatten it down untill its all dull no shiney spots give them a quick was then get out your polishing/scratch & swearl remover and polish they beutys up

hope this helps ady & please anyone if im wrong somewhere along the lines correct me as im no professional
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 03:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah and iirc people say heat the can of lacquer in some warm water as you might get a whitey/smoked finish cant remember what people call it but happend to me first time without heating can i just boil kettle & let the can cool down until its just warm give it a good shake & bob's your uncle fanny's your aunt

[Edited on 10-02-2010 by ash-ov-boro]
ady28

10th Feb 10 at 03:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problem fella theres a guide off here too just incase i missed anything at all glad to help mate

http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=41365
ady28

10th Feb 10 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks big big help!!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cud i colour code my arches myself? 23 database queries in 0.0101919 seconds