corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Guess the plug

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Guess the plug
C2RL R

User status: Offline
15th Feb 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
That plug is a BS546 round pin plug. they were made for industrial use and are available in 2, 5 and 15 amp sizes. check the rating of the appliance. If it's 13 amp or less then stick a BS1363-A plug on it. to me it looks like it may need a bigger supply going off the size of the cable. you may need to run a supply in for it. you will have two options then. either keep that plug and put a socket in that mates with it. or fit the 16 amp single phase blue plug and sockets.

called 16A/32A IP44 Plug/Socket, i don't think they are colour dependant. Also there isn't such a thing as a 110v plug/socket (could be wrong), it's just that some sites/stores label up the IP44 plug/socket as 110v.

i only wrote that they are the blue plugs to keep it basic. if we are going to be specific then you are way off. they are not called IP44 plugs and sockets. that is the IP rating or Ingress Protection rating. basically how resistant it is to ingress of water and solids. they are called BS4343 industrial plugs and sockets.
there is such a thing as 110v plugs and sockets and they are colour dependant. yellow is 110v, blue is 230v, red is 415v. there are even purple ones for 25v. hope this clears it up a little better.
oceansoul

15th Feb 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
quote:
some of the replies in here are a little concerning!

exactly my thoughts........
DaveyLC

15th Feb 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably already said.. Its a 16amp plug, you can whack a normal 13amp plug on it but chances are it will eat 13amp fuses.. Ideally you should fit a blue master socket somewhere and use that.
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took another look at it today, its 15amp, so ill need to replace it with a 230v IP44 socket? Im sure ive got an extension lead knocking around that uses that plugs, but with a standard domestic 3 pin plug on the end.
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now removed the plug, and cleaned it up to find it is indeed a 15A BS 546.
oceansoul

15th Feb 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom
Took another look at it today, its 15amp, so ill need to replace it with a 230v IP44 socket? Im sure ive got an extension lead knocking around that uses that plugs, but with a standard domestic 3 pin plug on the end.

No good unfortunatly. The domestic plug on the end will still be fused to 13A. If you try to pull 15A through it, it will pop. You need to wire a 16A outlet to your distboard.
Mase
Premium Member

15th Feb 10 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe these plugs are also used in South Africa, as I had to buy an adapter that looked similar to that...

Mase
mattk

15th Feb 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
quote:
some of the replies in here are a little concerning!

exactly my thoughts........
Dom

15th Feb 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
That plug is a BS546 round pin plug. they were made for industrial use and are available in 2, 5 and 15 amp sizes. check the rating of the appliance. If it's 13 amp or less then stick a BS1363-A plug on it. to me it looks like it may need a bigger supply going off the size of the cable. you may need to run a supply in for it. you will have two options then. either keep that plug and put a socket in that mates with it. or fit the 16 amp single phase blue plug and sockets.

called 16A/32A IP44 Plug/Socket, i don't think they are colour dependant. Also there isn't such a thing as a 110v plug/socket (could be wrong), it's just that some sites/stores label up the IP44 plug/socket as 110v.

i only wrote that they are the blue plugs to keep it basic. if we are going to be specific then you are way off. they are not called IP44 plugs and sockets. that is the IP rating or Ingress Protection rating. basically how resistant it is to ingress of water and solids. they are called BS4343 industrial plugs and sockets.
there is such a thing as 110v plugs and sockets and they are colour dependant. yellow is 110v, blue is 230v, red is 415v. there are even purple ones for 25v. hope this clears it up a little better.

luckily i'm not a electrician
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah fuck it, ill stick a IP44 on the end of it, and take it down to the local garage, only need to see if it works.
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it this wouldnt work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220369585977&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123
Dan A

15th Feb 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a standard plug on it with a screwdriver bit in place of the fuse

Least you know that it will never blow
C2RL R

15th Feb 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ah fuck it, ill stick a IP44 on the end of it, and take it down to the local garage, only need to see if it works.

can we all stop referring to it as an ip44 socket! IP has fuck all to do with it's load capacity.
C2RL R

15th Feb 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Take it this wouldnt work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220369585977&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

no it won't.
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Ah fuck it, ill stick a 230v BS4343 on the end of it, and take it down to the local garage, only need to see if it works.

can we all stop referring to it as an ip44 socket! IP has fuck all to do with it's load capacity.

I never said anything about IP44
C2RL R

15th Feb 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see what you did there...
ChrisBoom

15th Feb 10 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Root

15th Feb 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

butt

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Guess the plug 24 database queries in 0.0175719 seconds