corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private Plates and trading cars:

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Private Plates and trading cars:
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Feb 10 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If for instance I was trading my car (private) with someone who had a private plate on their car.

How would I go about this regards the V5, insurance.

Would it be a case of sign the new keep section take that then off to the DVLA with the rest of the V5 to get the plate swapped to the other car?

Then I would get sent all the new stuff, back to normal plate and other party get their stuff registered on the new car.

Hope that makes a bit of sense.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
AndyKent

17th Feb 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean both of you are having each others car?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

17th Feb 10 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh he takes my car, I take his car.

His car has the private plate on.

So he wants his plate on my car and I just want it sorted quick sharp and hassle free.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
AndyKent

17th Feb 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno how best to do that. Best bet would be phone DVLA tomorrow I'd have thought.

Either that or tell him to get the plate on retention now, and he can sort it out himself later
DaveyLC

17th Feb 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cant sell a car while the transfer is taking place and you cant transfer a plate while an ownership change is taking place, you must do the transfer first, wait for the V5 then sell the car or wait for the V5's to come back then the enw owner can transfer the plate (if you trust tehm).
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Feb 10 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He'll need to trust you.

He could transfer the plate to your car and you could refuse to sell it.

Alternatively he could sell you the car with the plate on and you could keep it.

The only safe thing for him is to put it on retention and then assign it to the car when he owns it. Will cost an extra £25.

I've heard of so many cars being sold with plates on, awaiting the new owner to take it off and give it back to the original owner.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

18th Feb 10 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting, shall double check with DVLA tmoz as was hoping to do a deal of some sort on Sat.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Feb 10 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Asked DVLA today...

We fill out section 6 on the V5 with new keepers details and we both sign section 8 (currwnt owner as registered keeper and myself as new keeper).

We fill out a V317 form with my details as registered keeper of the new car and he fills out section 3 as grantee which means that the reg will be put onto retention under his name.

The new V5 will come back to me with the original plate and the retention will go back to him.

These documents can either be posted to a DVLA local office or taken in person.

He needs to wait on the TT documents coming back in his name and then use the retention document to transfer the plate over.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private Plates and trading cars: 24 database queries in 0.0763259 seconds