corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would a CAT D bother you?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would a CAT D bother you?
AndyCorsaSport

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
This wasn't a category write off:

I'd be wanting pictures of the damage tbh.

Another example of fuck all damage, bonnet, bumper, lights and a front panel. Bugger all.

A high amount of cars on the road are accident damaged, like Deano's, damaged, but repaired, people think cause its not been "written off" its never had damage.

Ive just fit a rear quarter, 2 doors, wing, front panel, bonnet and 2 bumpers to a 57 plate Corsa, know one will know, apart from the quarter panel if they know where to look.
John

23rd Feb 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They shouldn't be going to buy cars themselves if they can't spot all that's been replaced.
Graham88

23rd Feb 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure if I'd want to buy a 'high end' car that's been written off, but as mentioned it's very cheap considering the age and the mileage. Bare in mind Caterogorised cars are harder to insure, so might be worth checking. If it was cheap enough I might consider it.
deano87

23rd Feb 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
quote:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5659/Image006.jpg

Another example of fuck all damage, bonnet, bumper, lights and a front panel. Bugger all.

A high amount of cars on the road are accident damaged, like Deano's, damaged, but repaired, people think cause its not been "written off" its never had damage.

Ive just fit a rear quarter, 2 doors, wing, front panel, bonnet and 2 bumpers to a 57 plate Corsa, know one will know, apart from the quarter panel if they know where to look.

However the total repair bill was £1800
RS6

23rd Feb 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12k for a cat d if your thinking of keeping it for a long long time then yeah,

if you change your car every 5 yrs or so then no because you never get that money back
AndyCorsaSport

23rd Feb 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
They shouldn't be going to buy cars themselves if they can't spot all that's been replaced.

Thats a stupid thing to say isnt it? How are you supposed to tell if a wing/bonnet/door/headlamp/bumper has been replacd? All bolt on parts, if its dont right, will be no trace of them being moved.

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Not too sure if I'd want to buy a 'high end' car that's been written off, but as mentioned it's very cheap considering the age and the mileage. Bare in mind Caterogorised cars are harder to insure, so might be worth checking. If it was cheap enough I might consider it.

Catergorised cars arent harder to insure
random dav
Premium Member

23rd Feb 10 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also think people have become more relaxed towards buying a CATd/c car recently.

WRLFC !

Project cars
AndyCorsaSport

23rd Feb 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5659/Image006.jpg

However the total repair bill was £1800

£1800 quid. Fuck me sideways thats rediculous!!!!

Strip and refit on that would be 6hrs at max
New front panel replacement 3hrs max
Paint 10hrs max

Thats 16hrs, and thats probly being quite lenient, most Insurance garages charge around £30 an hour. 19hrs at £30 = £570, say £700 just to be over the top, no way is there £1100 left in parts/paint and materials. Jesus thats rediculous!
John

23rd Feb 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Thats a stupid thing to say isnt it? How are you supposed to tell if a wing/bonnet/door/headlamp/bumper has been replacd? All bolt on parts, if its dont right, will be no trace of them being moved.

It's not really stupid, I bet I'd spot it a mile away although most people probably can't.

I have never had to insure one myself personally but do the insurance not only pay out the value of a write off car and not a non crashed one?
jaffa

23rd Feb 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old 106 GTi was a CAT D and made no difference on the insurance.
AndyCorsaSport

23rd Feb 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

It's not really stupid, I bet I'd spot it a mile away although most people probably can't.

I have never had to insure one myself personally but do the insurance not only pay out the value of a write off car and not a non crashed one?

Ok maybe some people would have a chance yeah, but say a bolt on door, how you gonna spot its being changed? I can understand welded on panels are obvious etc, but bolt ons quite a bit harder.

Dont know to be honest, my insurance never asked if mine had been written off or anything, i put value down as £3800 i think.
deano87

23rd Feb 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
£1800 quid. Fuck me sideways thats rediculous!!!!

Strip and refit on that would be 6hrs at max
New front panel replacement 3hrs max
Paint 10hrs max

Thats 16hrs, and thats probly being quite lenient, most Insurance garages charge around £30 an hour. 19hrs at £30 = £570, say £700 just to be over the top, no way is there £1100 left in parts/paint and materials. Jesus thats rediculous!

All genuine GM parts.

Plus there was more damage than that. Slam panel, something else. I think some other stuff was bent. Bumper buggered. Headlight. Bottom and top grill. Radiator burst. All sorts.
John

23rd Feb 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

but say a bolt on door, how you gonna spot its being changed?

A bolt on door from the same colour of car I can't see how I would tell actually.

If it was a new one sprayed I could.
deano87

23rd Feb 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

A bolt on door from the same colour of car I can't see how I would tell actually.

If it was recent i.e. bought crash damaged, repaired and sold on, you would be able to tell via wear and tear on the interior and a clean door hinge or loads of copper slip to help get it on etc.

You could spot most things given half the chance. But then you'd never bloomin' buy a car
AndyCorsaSport

23rd Feb 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

If it was a new one sprayed I could.

How? Dont mean to be a dick, just want to know how
John

23rd Feb 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just always had a knack for some reason, can just spot something's not quite as it should be, served me well so far.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would a CAT D bother you? 24 database queries in 0.0116861 seconds