corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » egr and sai blanking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author egr and sai blanking
beef27

User status: Offline
1st Mar 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot does this do?
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blanks the Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Secondary Air Injection Systems.

EGR - assists in reduction of Noxious Emissions by injecting a proportion of Exhaust Gas into the Inlet manifold, to repeat the combustion cycle

SAI - injects air into the Exhaust Manifold to increase Exhaust Gas temperatures to bring the Catalytic Converter to optimum operating temperature quicker to assist in reducing Noxious Emissions.
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both systems are not legally required to be operational, so can be disabled either by blanking or removal

The SAI System can be fully removed, the EGR system has to be blanked - I believe the EGR is incorporated into the ECU so cannot be fully removed without custom mapping or standalone engine management
beef27

1st Mar 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does doing these make any benifits/ gains
AlexW

1st Mar 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SAI clears up a big space in the engine bay, EGR's go wrong very offen and its cheaper than buying another EGR
Root

1st Mar 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by beef27

yes, but there is probably no point doing this to a 1.4 or anything less. 1.6 upwards only and ideally above that, like 2.0.

But most people that blank the EGR, tend to have standalone management systems to optimize maximum power, thus they blank the EGR to stop interferrence with the standalone achieving this
Root

1st Mar 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my post is referring to the EGR system. I do not know much about SAI
AlexW

1st Mar 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine size etc dont matter at all, the only real reason to is you might get 3bhp, but the main point is it can make it run better due to a iffy EGR valve.

Stand alone management wouldn't be affected by the EGR as you wouldn't have it plugged in!
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by beef27

Negligible - mine has the SAI disabled/removed, and will be getting the EGR blanked when the Inlet is changed. Noticed nothing different atall, other than a little more space in the Engine Bay.

I had a Cav 2.0 16v and disabled the EGR on that, but left the SAI running. Only noticed a slightly smoother throttle response, but that could e because the EGR was likely to have starting to cock up.

corsadonk
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone had trouble MOT time, emission wise? Also can you leave the sai unplugged and not get a light come up on the dash? Like the EGR.
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No MOT trouble on either of mine, as long as your engine is running well and the Cat is there / isn't fucked then it should be fine for emissions.

Yes, you can leave the SAI system unplugged with no ECU issues.
Root

1st Mar 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually is the CAT that causes the epic fail on emissions
corsadonk
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
No MOT trouble on either of mine, as long as your engine is running well and the Cat is there / isn't fucked then it should be fine for emissions.

Yes, you can leave the SAI system unplugged with no ECU issues.

Great because I've got a 4-1 manifold, and Velos torque tube to go on.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » egr and sai blanking 23 database queries in 0.1145110 seconds