corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Just checked my emails

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just checked my emails
corsayoung

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok bit of a rant....

My mum just checked her email and vodafone have emailed her saying that your contract has been upgraded etc etc. Now this rang alarm bells for one; shes on o2, two; we have not got the associated "RIM BlackBerry 8520 Curve". So basically someone has used her email address, we are not sure about bank details yet, and had it shipped to their address.

Now she has just rang Vodafone help line, and they asked whats your name etc she said her name and asked for her pin code, but of course we don't have a pin code, but because we couldnt tell them, she had to hang up .

What are we meant to do? Shes going to check her bank account tomorrow morning asap, but this was done on the 12th March but the contract it says doesnt upgrade untull April 19th 2010

What the fuckkk!

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by corsayoung]
Generation

23rd Mar 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like spam to me, id just ignore it.
Reecemac

23rd Mar 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone might have given them the wrong email address by mistake, because its an upgrade the contract must of been running like a year/18 months so your mum would probably have noticed? Also if you used someones card/account details to get a phone you wouldn't use their email address. Just sounds like a mistake.
Bart

23rd Mar 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wait for the phone, keep it.

unless your mum hands over any money, whats the big deal?

as above, most likely spam though
corsayoung

23rd Mar 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok bit if an update..

It's not spam, after we spoke to an english man on the phone, he distinguished, the mobile number, is a real number with vodafone. And they are using my mothers name and email address, but the address is different they have now passed it onto there fraud team or something :\, kinda worrking though.

My mum never goes on the internet, so just wondering, how they have got her name and email address
corsayoung

23rd Mar 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Reecemac
Someone might have given them the wrong email address by mistake, because its an upgrade the contract must of been running like a year/18 months so your mum would probably have noticed? Also if you used someones card/account details to get a phone you wouldn't use their email address. Just sounds like a mistake.

But my mums email address isn't like a random thing, its simple her name @btinternet.com so e.g johnmills@btinternet.com, and the email is addressed to a Ms Watts, however she is married and has been for 30 years
GF-91
Banned

23rd Mar 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear!
Generation

23rd Mar 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your mums name is JOHN ?

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Generation]
corsayoung

23rd Mar 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Your mums name is JOHN ?

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Generation]

spot on!
Reecemac

23rd Mar 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsayoung
Ok bit if an update..

It's not spam, after we spoke to an english man on the phone, he distinguished, the mobile number, is a real number with vodafone. And they are using my mothers name and email address, but the address is different they have now passed it onto there fraud team or something :\, kinda worrking though.

My mum never goes on the internet, so just wondering, how they have got her name and email address

Might have used her name because they couldn't get credit for a mobile contract? They could've got a letter out of the bin or anything. As long as it gets sorted.
corsayoung

23rd Mar 10 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Reecemac
quote:
Originally posted by corsayoung
Ok bit if an update..

Might have used her name because they couldn't get credit for a mobile contract? They could've got a letter out of the bin or anything. As long as it gets sorted.

I suppose, but we shread our bills / letters etc , ahh well just as long as they not been thieving money, its just one of those things.
am4nf

23rd Mar 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely she would have noticed though?
James_DT

23rd Mar 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not possible someone with the same name and therefore a similar email address has mistyped it at some point?
I get all sorts of random but genuine emails because some random yank with the same time can't get his own email address correct.
Reecemac

23rd Mar 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
Not possible someone with the same name and therefore a similar email address has mistyped it at some point?
I get all sorts of random but genuine emails because some random yank with the same time can't get his own email address correct.

It happens, when we first moved round here my mum had to go to the hospital, she went to reception gave her name and dob then the woman said "you only just left haven't you" turns out someone with the same same and date of birth! strange or what.
corsayoung

24th Mar 10 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, the people on the phone said, that the address, date of birth, differs from my mothers to the person that has taken the account out.

As said the email address is quite unique i would imagine it being a full name. and @btinternet.com not hotmail or anything common
Reecemac

24th Mar 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any updates?
corsayoung

24th Mar 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not yet, they said vodafone would email her with any updates.

However they did say something about, us having to ring again to make sure we are not associated with the account, because if this person does not pay next month then it will be my mum that gets the hit on the credit rating :\
jibjob

24th Mar 10 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This seems to be happening a lot recently! My mate got letters through his door and texts on his phone saying thank you for the loan enquiry and then got a letter from the local hospital saying thank you for applying to be a hopsital porter and we have completed your CRB check. Wouldnt be so bad but hes never been to that hospital never mind applied for a job there
sxibeast

24th Mar 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gf had a similar thing! Had an email from Lloyds regarding a loan applicatio and the purchase of an item. It had this womans details on (bank account no, sort code etc) so rang the bank. Turns out someone mistyped .co.uk for .com when entering details!
corsayoung

24th Mar 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silly world isn't it at the moment....

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Just checked my emails 23 database queries in 0.2322459 seconds