corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » So, I'm one of those gym gays now

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So, I'm one of those gym gays now
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
   21st Mar 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Signed up for the gym today, been meaning to do it for a while but wanted to wait until after February so i didnt look like ones of those New Years Resolution twats

Just looking for a bit of advice really. My main aim is to build my upper body strength, ive always thought its the one part of my body that lets me down. Im quite a small guy, weigh about 60.5kgs and am approx 5ft 8. I could do with bulking up a bit, although im one of these people who really struggles to put on weight. Any diet advice would be much appreciated.

Im not looking to be MASSIVE, just more toned and a tad bulkier. My aim is to hit the gym 3-4 times a week, I'd do more but my night shifts limit me somewhat. Sound about right?

Very N00bish i know, but any pointers/tips would be great. Might try get some pics of my current physic tomorrow so you can see how i currently stand.

Failing all that, hopefully jake will just supply me with shed loads of ROIDZ.
scoob
Premium Member

21st Mar 10 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lift and eat, eat alot
Nath

21st Mar 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Might try get some pics of my current physic tomorrow so you can see how i currently stand.

I did this. Haven't taken any recent pics though, or looked at my old pics for a while to compare.
JonnyJ

21st Mar 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of what Scoob? Chocolate? Marzipan? Yorkshire puddings? Green beans? Monster munch?

My diet, i will admit is pretty dire atm. It consists of snacking, pizzas, bacon sarnies, the usual shite but because i never put any weight on its never bothered me what i eat

I would like to change that now though
scoob
Premium Member

21st Mar 10 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

packing on size id go for big lifts, bench press sqauts ect (somone will come correct me) as for diet theres plenty of plans kicking about on the net, chicken, tuna ect roidz
Jake

21st Mar 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep the calories clean. If you can stomach porridge have about 300g(Dry weight) of that a day. few eggs in the morning along with 100g oats with water and half a pint of milk. snack of high protein and carb foods during the day(tuna with olive oil, chicken breast, wholewheat bagels packed with peanut butter) then when you get home from work cain some more porridge along with chicken breast half an hour later or Pre workout, get some protein powder and knock that back post work out and more porridge anhour after that then get some cottage cheese or casien protein powder(midnight express) and mix a scoop of that with milk before bed. Its not the tasiest diet but its all about the results.
JonnyJ

21st Mar 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
Keep the calories clean. If you can stomach porridge have about 300g(Dry weight) of that a day. few eggs in the morning along with 100g oats with water and half a pint of milk. snack of high protein and carb foods during the day(tuna with olive oil, chicken breast, wholewheat bagels packed with peanut butter) then when you get home from work cain some more porridge along with chicken breast half an hour later or Pre workout, get some protein powder and knock that back post work out and more porridge anhour after that then get some cottage cheese or casien protein powder(midnight express) and mix a scoop of that with milk before bed. Its not the tasiest diet but its all about the results.

Sounds good jake, all the food sounds utterly revolting but i'll stomach it if it can produce the results. The hard thing for me with regards to sticking to the diet is for 3 days of the week i work nights (Tues, Thurs, Fri) so my sleeping pattern and routine is all over the place. For instance, on a tuesday, ill sleep until about 1pm so i've had enough sleep to get me through the night, sleep about 3 hours wednesday morning so i havent had so much sleep that i cant get back to sleep wednesday night. Get up at 1pm thurs, sleep till 3pm Friday day and then after fridays nightshift have another 2/3 hours and get up around 11am Saturday morning

Not sure how i work a fixed diet around all that
Jake

21st Mar 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just woke up so couldnt make sense of any of that mate.

on the plus side, work it so you eat one thing at a time if that makes it easier. when im at work ill have a chicken breast at 10am then a bagel at 11 then tuna at 12 and so on... My diet never requires me to sit at the dinner table and have a proper meal, and it never takes me more than 10minutes to prepare something, im always snacking here and there and i found that works best for me. I've had a think and i realised 300g of porridge a day might cause you to bring it all back up again if youre not used to it. Start off small and build the portions up. Try and mix some fruit and vegetables into your diet aswell, or at least fruit juice to get the carb count up. Drink alot of water and take a multivitamin - they do them chepa enough at holland and barrett

[Edited on 21-03-2010 by jake]
JonnyJ

21st Mar 10 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont blame you mate, been doing this for 5 years and my body still doesnt know wtf I'm doing!

Cheers anyway mate, some good stuff there. Ill grab some porridge and the rest of the stuff mentioned next time im out.
dhanson08

22nd Mar 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your sleep is very important for rebuilding the muscle.3-4 times a week is a very good workout as its what i do for 40mins.if your just wanting to tone up you dont need to eat loads at all just clean your diet up and the protein is the most important thing as it will help you recover quicker,without protein you would be lucky to get in the gym 3-4 times a week as you would still be in pain.also dont lift again until your muscles have repaired.
DizzyRebel

22nd Mar 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no such thing as 'toning' you have either fat loss or muscle building to choose from as a goal in physique training.

I assume by being toned, you mean you wish to have an athletic looking figure with good definition like most of the people who say 'toned' actually mean. In which case you will need to bulk for approx 2-3 years then do a fat loss programme and then afterwards work out a maintenance calorie intake and macro ratio to keep you looking how you wish.

First off, dont even begin to think you will get 'massive' without at least 10 years hard work naturally or 5 years worth of blast and cruise steroid cycles. you have no danger of getting massive by training brutally hard 4 times a week and eating a clean, high protein diet.

First off you need to build some foundation strength, so 3 full body sessions a week compromising of bench press, shoulder press, squats, deadlifts, and pullups should be your only lifts. hire a pt for a few weeks to coach you and ensure you are doing them properly so you dont adopt a bad form and set yourself up for muscle and joint pain in the future! Once you can lift your bodyweight in bench press, bodyweight in squats and bodyweight and a half in deadlifts you should then adopt a push/pull 4 day split programme for a couple of months before finally hitting a bodypart split programme that you will carry on with untill you reach your physique goals.

diet wise, 300g of protein, 300g of carbs and 50g of dietary fats a day is always a good starting point. make sure they all come from clean, whole sources and stay away from sugars such as fizzy drinks, fruit juice, sweets, beer etc.
Laney

22nd Mar 10 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd strongly recommend swimming as well as lifting
JonnyJ

22nd Mar 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one. Cheers guys

Luke, as i said at the start i am a big newbie to all this so sorry if toning was the wrong word to use, ta for the rest of the advice though I have my induction today, in which they should give me a basic regime/diet to follow.

They have a 20m pool where i go Laney so I'll be sure to make use of that too.
dhanson08

22nd Mar 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh swimming is the best and also not boring like running is as you can see aload of fit women.
Marc

22nd Mar 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scoob
(somone will come correct me)

scoob
Premium Member

22nd Mar 10 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by scoob
(somone will come correct me)

ashleh

24th Mar 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
There is no such thing as 'toning' you have either fat loss or muscle building to choose from as a goal in physique training.

I assume by being toned, you mean you wish to have an athletic looking figure with good definition like most of the people who say 'toned' actually mean. In which case you will need to bulk for approx 2-3 years then do a fat loss programme and then afterwards work out a maintenance calorie intake and macro ratio to keep you looking how you wish.

First off, dont even begin to think you will get 'massive' without at least 10 years hard work naturally or 5 years worth of blast and cruise steroid cycles. you have no danger of getting massive by training brutally hard 4 times a week and eating a clean, high protein diet.

First off you need to build some foundation strength, so 3 full body sessions a week compromising of bench press, shoulder press, squats, deadlifts, and pullups should be your only lifts. hire a pt for a few weeks to coach you and ensure you are doing them properly so you dont adopt a bad form and set yourself up for muscle and joint pain in the future! Once you can lift your bodyweight in bench press, bodyweight in squats and bodyweight and a half in deadlifts you should then adopt a push/pull 4 day split programme for a couple of months before finally hitting a bodypart split programme that you will carry on with untill you reach your physique goals.

diet wise, 300g of protein, 300g of carbs and 50g of dietary fats a day is always a good starting point. make sure they all come from clean, whole sources and stay away from sugars such as fizzy drinks, fruit juice, sweets, beer etc.

Cheers for the info, just started gym again and this could come in handy. But 300g of protein? Jesus, i probably dont even get above 100 at the moment =/
dhanson08

25th Mar 10 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your body needs sugar etc.honestly what ive found is when people explain it they make it sound more difficult than it actually is imo

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » So, I'm one of those gym gays now 24 database queries in 0.0120420 seconds