corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My GF's work

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My GF's work
Tom

User status: Offline
25th Mar 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfiend is in a similar situation to WRG corsa (I didn't want to steal your thread ), she works in a nursery run by a bunch of clowns. She doesn't know from day to day what times she's working (has to text the manager every night) she's been working their for nearly a year and they take the piss constantly. There are 3 of them who work there full time and they are supposed to swap early and late shifts between them but she regularly has to do 4 of the 5 earlys and usually has to work between an hour and 90 minutes extra on those days as the tight owner won't employ enough staff to make the times work so the staff to kids ratio is right. She gets no thanks for it and to be honest it impacts on our whole week (can't stay up late to watch a film etc incase she gets a text at 10pm saying she's starting work at 7.30), she's too scared to say anything as she's half way through an NVQ level 3 payed by them and the two other people who work there are mother and daughter. I feel like going in an smashing her boss in the face. Her boss also informed her the other day that because ONE new kid was starting who's parents needed the kid to start at 7am she has agreed to open the nursery at 7 3 days a week, I know for a fact it's going to mean she has to work even more hours which she will never get thanked or paid for and she's going to rant at me for 20 mins every night about it instead of the 15 she currently does

Rant over.

[Edited on 25-03-2010 by Tom]
Colin

25th Mar 10 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has she got a contract of employment, if so what does it mention regarding starting times & hours?

Conway563

25th Mar 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it must be something to do with nurserys as my mrs is in exactly the same situation. Luckily she's on maternity now but thery're now fucking about with her pay. Not something she needs to be dealing with when she's meant to give birth in a week
Colin

25th Mar 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joe, are you going to be standing by the exit point with the forceps ready to grab the head?
Steve
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Employee rights seem to be going further and further down the pan with this govt.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing to do with employee rights, its all to do with employees not standing up for themselfs and protecting themselfs via their contract.

Give your bird some direction Tom, but dont get involved. At the end of the day if they are paying for her course I'm not suprised shes letting them walk all over her but its her choice at the end of the day if she wants to stand up and fight the power.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think people are just scared to rock the boat tbh.
Daimo B

25th Mar 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Employee rights seem to be going further and further down the pan with this govt.

You are joking right?

Our employees are one of the best protected in the world.

Go try America or something where you can be sacked just if they don't like you.

Employees in this country have mega rights, its just most people don't know they do.
Colin

25th Mar 10 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me i'd be asking for a rota that shows me what hours i'll be working for at least 2 weeks ahead.

Then i'd address the issue regarding getting all the early starts.

Then, if she's not paying you to do over time then tell her your only working your hours.

They cant touch you for any of that & if they do get shitty then step up the pace to finish the nvq & move on.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

just most people don't know they do.

i think thats the issue, what im finding though is employers are taking advantage of it these days knowing they can push people and they wont do anything about it
Sam
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of people's contracts state that they must be prepared to do some unpaid overtime/unsociable hours if required.
Tom

25th Mar 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She's meant to have a contract but i've never seen it, doubt she has seen it tbh.

I've given her numerous pep talks about what to say and when to say it but she's just that negative about the situation (and is planning on leaving once she has her piece of paper) that she's not confident enough to sort it out. It's so frustrating though as if that were me i'd be sticking up for myself.

I agree though that employers have all the power at the moment, people are generally happy to have a job just now so are willing to put up with more shit.
Tom

25th Mar 10 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
A lot of people's contracts state that they must be prepared to do some unpaid overtime/unsociable hours if required.

She does at least 5 hours per week which even on her crap wage would be at least an extra £20 a week.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if she hasnt seen the contract then its quite likely she hasnt signed one either but I know plenty of people who do jobs on good faith! its madness.
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unpaid overtime is bull - they can't make you work for free (thats slave labour) as for the random start times why doesn't she just say that she will do all the earlys seeing as she is doing most of them anyway. at least then she will have a routine ....

as for being made to stay late unpaid because they need the extra worker due to adult to kid ratio it sounds like she actually has the upper hand .... just say "no, unless you pay me" they will have to as if she just leaves at the end of her shift and they dont have enough staff their screwed.

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My GF's work 24 database queries in 0.0144489 seconds