corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Regulation on gambling in pubs?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Regulation on gambling in pubs?
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
23rd May 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Down at my local, most sundays we have a gaming night, only usually 6 of us. Games vary from poker to shoot pontoon, and its been going on for a number of years.

However, the owner of the pub had a visit from the council after they had an anonymous letter saying that there was gambling for major stakes, and that it should all gambling should stop immediately etc.

Anyone know the regulations on this? Its not for any profit for the pub etc, its just a group of friends playing a small sum of money.
Marc

23rd May 10 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this in the lounge/bar or in a private room?
ChrisBoom

23rd May 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the bar itself.
SR91

23rd May 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats bollocks every pub/taxi rank/take away has them gambling machines in without a gambling licence. So do most cornershops and convience stores (lottery & Scratch card etc...)
Cavey

23rd May 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as i'm aware, pubs do have a gambling license, but they only cover the machines, and only to a certain amount, hence you won't find £250 jackpots in a pub, but can in Rileys, who will have a different license.

I think skittles and old time games are allowed, but any "proper" gambling is not.

I could be very wrong, and apologies and humbleness if I am, but that's what I think anyhoo
Dan
Premium Member

23rd May 10 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny this should come up, i was in the pub an hour ago talking about a poker tournament in there, and they read the rules on there lisence.

Said basically, any game of skill can be played, with minimum stakes.

Didnt say what a minimum stake is though :/

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Leighton

23rd May 10 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't matter if you're friends even in a pub, it still comes under the same rules as it's a public place.

Gambling Act 2005 is the legislation. You ned to apply for a Section 6 permit if you want to bet money or something for money's worth - ie. chips that you cash in.

The gaming must also remaing not the primary purpose of the establishment. This usually means that you can't advertise the games as a means of attracting people to the venue.

Short answer is that the letter is probably right, you're currently playing outside of the law if money is changing hands.

[Edited on 23-05-2010 by Leighton]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Regulation on gambling in pubs? 24 database queries in 0.0783691 seconds