corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pot holes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pot holes
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after almost 5 years of driving my luck has finally run out (in regards to pot holes that is!)

Going through some back roads (country lanes - which are in pretty poor condition and full of pot holes), on the way to work I managed to hit one at about 50mph (moving over from some tosser in the middle of the road ) which damaged my alloy and punctured the tyre

Pot hole (aka trench):

Damage:

Within a couple of minutes after I had hit it I could tell there was something wrong, the steering didn't feel right and within a mile it was pulling to one side (I stopped to check and the tyre was getting very soft). Pulled over at a garage just to pump it up so I could get to work which was another 4 miles away but didn't make it... the garage was located next to a Honda dealership so I took the alloy over to them and they couldn't do anything about it whatsoever although they did give me and a mate who I work with a lift to Bathwick Tyres to check it. First thing the guy said is: "There is no point putting a new tyre on that, it'll just go soft straight away. We could smack it with a hammer but it's likely to crack" They pointed me in the direction of an alloy refurbishment company in Swindon (Lepsons) to which it cost £40 + VAT for the alloy to be fixed and I needed to put a budget tyre on as well (until I got some new ones for the front)... so in total £101 for the lot.

Obviously slightly annoyed at that it has cost me £101 because of a tosser who couldn't drive properly and the huge pot hole (trench) that I hit so one phone call to the council later and I have received a form from them which I need to complete and send back ASAP.

I have evidence of damage and pot hole + a witness so hopefully I can claim some if not all of it back (probably by about christmas from what I've heard )

My main cause for concern though is that the pot hole is on the side of the road (even though on one of the pics you can see where they've filled in next to it). So there is a good chance they might just tell me to do one!

So before I reply is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance

p.s Driving around on the spare (space saver) was shockingly shit!!! Found a design flaw with Honda - the Spare doesn't fit over the front discs / calipers so we had to swap it for the back It was like a high heel on one side and the lean back stance was uber JDM oh and to top that all off I was limited to 50mph and had bugger all handling - I got overtaken by a bloody transit at 50mph

[Edited on 22-06-2010 by Ash_EP3]
johnny86
Premium Member

22nd Jun 10 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bash the inside of the wheel with a copper hammer and pump it up should stay up
Ash_EP3

22nd Jun 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
bash the inside of the wheel with a copper hammer and pump it up should stay up

It's fixed...
dan_m1les

22nd Jun 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may have to go out later and take some pictures of pot holes round here that have never been fixed to show you the true meaning of a bad road!
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 10 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd call that side of the road rather than a pot hole tbh.
Graham88

22nd Jun 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I think they'll just call it the side of the road too, no harm in trying, but I know they like to argue it even when it's a clear cut case against the council, so I can't see them letting this one go.
JaffaTB

22nd Jun 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would call it the edge of the road too

You should come to Sheffield, pot hole city of the UK! Theres not one road without a pothole! Even a small 10mph road that goes straight through the hospital grounds for people to be dropped off and picked up is holed to fuck and its only about 200 meters long!

On my way to work i swerve left and right avoiding sunken grates and holes everywhere, what do we pay road tax for? Ive been getting seriously fed up with the state of the roads for a long time
Fro

22nd Jun 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Write to the council about them and they should fill them in/relay it if it's bad enough.

they do around my way.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 10 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long and short of it is, watch where you're going.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pot holes 23 database queries in 0.3212230 seconds