corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Glastonbury Festival..Webcam.. Worldcup etc..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Glastonbury Festival..Webcam.. Worldcup etc..
Dom

User status: Offline
19th Jun 10 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath, can you recommend any decent routes to the festival? Is it better to head in from the M5/A39 (backend) as i'm guessing the A37 and the A361 (from the A36/A303) will be absolutely choka?

Current route is >THIS< which cuts out a lot of the M1 and M25 (50 and 40mph speeds limits due to road works), but it looks a bit arse about way once you get to Bristol....
Roffo

19th Jun 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where abouts are you dom?

i always go in through street (heading towards frome/bristol), however i live quite near, but never waited more than 2 hours in a que.
Nismo

19th Jun 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Nath, can you recommend any decent routes to the festival? Is it better to head in from the M5/A39 (backend) as i'm guessing the A37 and the A361 (from the A36/A303) will be absolutely choka?

Current route is >THIS< which cuts out a lot of the M1 and M25 (50 and 40mph speeds limits due to road works), but it looks a bit arse about way once you get to Bristol....

Tbh mate i wouldnt really know as Im always in there way before the general public, Which gate are you going in?

I wouldnt go the Glastonbury way myself as thats the way 70% go as they this its in Glastonbury when really its Pilton,

I myself would get off at Chippenham, then route through Melksham, Westbury, Frome then Shepton, these are fast A roads and that can be done in 45 mins on a normal day.

THIS WAY

Last year there was choas on the M4 due to a big accident, and the M5 junction 23 was backed up for miles with queues, I would stay well clear of them.
Dom

19th Jun 10 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roffo - I'm heading down from Bedford, but trying to stay well clear of the M1 and M25 due to road works and speed limits.

Nismo - Cheers for the map. Carpark ticket is pink (has a pink border), so i'm assuming its the pink gate (near carpark W40 i think?)? Which (according to the GlastoEarth map) changes the route to >THIS< i think?
Nismo

20th Jun 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thats not a problem but advoid the A371 -A361 Shepton Mallet as that is the worst way in, that road becomes chocca and it will be packed! last year people took 3 hours to get in to the car parks that wayl

Go through Shepton town, out the other side on West Shepton road B3136 and you will cut 50% of the way in 5 mins! As the other way has all the big yellow festival signs and people just follow that.
Dom

20th Jun 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Ok thats not a problem but advoid the A371 -A361 Shepton Mallet as that is the worst way in, that road becomes chocca and it will be packed! last year people took 3 hours to get in to the car parks that wayl

Go through Shepton town, out the other side on West Shepton road B3136 and you will cut 50% of the way in 5 mins! As the other way has all the big yellow festival signs and people just follow that.

Cheers! By the way, is it best to head down the one way street in shepton mallet or old market road, or doesn't it really matter?

edit - Also, does the A361 generally get packed from Trowbridge/Frome onwards? Is it worth trying to avoid as much of the A361 as possible (perhaps go north to Radstock and come in from the A37 or A39)?

[Edited on 20-06-2010 by Dom]
MarkM

20th Jun 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nismo I'm leaving Liverpool about midnight ish Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to hopefully arrive at the car park areas for say 4am and in good time for the camps opening time of 8am. Obviously I expect to hit traffic even at 4am but is there any way I need to be heading in to avoid the worst of the traffic? My car park ticket has a pink border too.
John

20th Jun 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC4 40 years of glasto, started at 9, just spotted it.
Nismo

20th Jun 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Cheers! By the way, is it best to head down the one way street in shepton mallet or old market road, or doesn't it really matter?

edit - Also, does the A361 generally get packed from Trowbridge/Frome onwards? Is it worth trying to avoid as much of the A361 as possible (perhaps go north to Radstock and come in from the A37 or A39)?

[Edited on 20-06-2010 by Dom]

Old market road is a one way and you drive up it so all good!, when you get to the top turn right, theres a Massive Tescos there so if you need supplies here is good.

The A361 will be busy but i wouldnt go to radstock as you will pick up the A37 and thats all Bristol and the M5 traffic, stay clear last year it was tailbacked from Bristol.

Nismo

20th Jun 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
Nismo I'm leaving Liverpool about midnight ish Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to hopefully arrive at the car park areas for say 4am and in good time for the camps opening time of 8am. Obviously I expect to hit traffic even at 4am but is there any way I need to be heading in to avoid the worst of the traffic? My car park ticket has a pink border too.

I take it you will come down the M5 then?

I would say get off at J21 Weston Super Mare, then pick up the A37 > Winscombe, Axbridge , Cheddar, Wells then into Shepton mallet, then to Pilton.

That way will be quicker than J23 > Glastonbury as all the traffic will go this way.

If you want to be extra clever you could take the back lanes from Dulcote / Dinder right through to glasto and cut out the car park queues too
MarkM

21st Jun 10 at 06:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah M5 down. Nice one I'll programme the Tomtom for J21. Any idea what the back lanes are to programme in?
Nismo

21st Jun 10 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Il lhave a look and do you a plan, although as you dont know the area it can get tricky!

Weather and traffic reports here, also on the somerset twiiter feed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/somerset/hi/things_to_do/newsid_8744000/8744139.stm
MarkM

21st Jun 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs cheers for the info! Can't wait now.
Dom

22nd Jun 10 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, anyone wanting to plan a route for use on a TomTom then use >Tyre< (based on Google Maps) as it allows to you export the route as a POI or Itn(Itinerary) file which you can import straight into TomTom Home or copy to the device.
Toph

23rd Jun 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by MarkM

I take it you will come down the M5 then?

I would say get off at J21 Weston Super Mare, then pick up the A37 > Winscombe, Axbridge , Cheddar, Wells then into Shepton mallet, then to Pilton.

That way will be quicker than J23 > Glastonbury as all the traffic will go this way.

If you want to be extra clever you could take the back lanes from Dulcote / Dinder right through to glasto and cut out the car park queues too

Perfect shortcut, zero queues......infact didn't see a nother vehicle until we actuall got our pass!!!
John

23rd Jun 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nismo

24th Jun 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poped home for a shower last night as it was mega hot yesturday, footy was epic!!

Heres just a small section of the croud

Goping back down in a few hours to get on the steam boat!
Nismo

24th Jun 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Cubehenge in the dance village is looking funky!!

Big ass sound system and stage in there with Dj's so that will be pumpin!
Aaron

24th Jun 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tits in the red and white bikini top
John

25th Jun 10 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watching the Florence and the Machine from earlier on, she's really good, first time I've seen a Glasto crowd looking interested though, they aren't just standing there bored
Dom

29th Jun 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Just watching the Florence and the Machine from earlier on, she's really good, first time I've seen a Glasto crowd looking interested though, they aren't just standing there bored

Florence and the Machine were absolutely brilliant, they did a cover of The Chain which was mental

But yeah, it was stupidly hot! You started to roast about 7am and the tent was a no go until late at night! Glasto is certainly an experience, i didn't do half of the things i wanted to do though because it's fecking huge and you have to trek miles to get anywhere (certainly from where we were camped). Worth doing though
Ben G

29th Jun 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that must fucking stink there. sod that.
Dom

29th Jun 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
that must fucking stink there. sod that.

The place didn't smell of daisys by a long shot (the long drop loos absolutely fucking stank, full on you could hurl stank especially by the railway track) but it wasn't too bad. You do get the odd smell of cow shite from the farms though if the wind changes direction.

Edit - Oh and Nath, you're an absolutely legend for that shortcut from the A361 through Evercreech. It took us about 5mins to get onto the site (blue gate) once we came off the A361 at Douting

[Edited on 29-06-2010 by Dom]
Nismo

29th Jun 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries mate,

Epic weekend just too fucking hot

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Glastonbury Festival..Webcam.. Worldcup etc.. 23 database queries in 0.0237410 seconds