corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » None Showing tax Disks - Illegal?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author None Showing tax Disks - Illegal?
SashaSXI

User status: Offline
31st Jul 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, me and a friend were having an arguement. My Car tax ends tomorrow so I was going to go up to the postoffice and get my new one. Job done.

However my mate says just do it online its easier, however it takes a week to come, and then obviously i wouldnt have a tax disk in my car until it came.

So whats the rules really? Because the car would be tax'd but if I got pulled over...
Root

31st Jul 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do it online and are waiting for your disk to come, they cannot do you for it as you're waiting for it to arrive. On their systems it will show as taxed
Root

31st Jul 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you get the disc you should display it though
Mark.W

31st Jul 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get 5 days to display it when doing it online so driving around until you get it is fine

[Edited on 31-07-2010 by wooly101uk]
Gareth F

31st Jul 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although it says if applying online apply for it 5 days before it runs out

I drove aroundfor three months without thenew one displayed as i forgot
Toby
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wooly is right but to answer your question not displaying tax is a offence and a separate one from not having tax
VegasPhil
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a couple of mates fined £80 for having it in the glove box and not on display!!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
JonnyJ

31st Jul 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you put it in the glovebox?
Bonney

31st Jul 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was told this by a traffic copper when i was talking to him at a bike meet a while back.

He walked past a bike and didn't see a tax disk on it. The owner of the bike was at the side of it and he asked him if it was taxed. He then went to the under seat compartment and shown him the tax disk. He then said it was fine.

I then asked him about showing the tax disk on a bike and he said as long as it is with the vehicle it should be ok. But they are more leniant towards the bike tax disks as they are easier to steal.

Also if you are taxing it online, Make sure you print off your receipt and keep it with you, Just incase they think you are blagging them
Graham88

31st Jul 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't shown my bike tax on my bike since I've owned it, about 3 years, it's sat behind my computer with a thick layer of dust They're too easy to steal.
SashaSXI

31st Jul 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool cheers guys, Yeah I know its offence not to have your car taxed, was more concerned about it being on show.
But i went to the post office anyway Thanks all.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Straight from the horse's mouth:

quote:

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive.

This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

AlexW

31st Jul 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ What i was about to say.

Would be a good idea to print out the receipt though.
oceansoul

31st Jul 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I kept my tax disc in my glove box for ages when i last renewed. Forgot to put it in the window
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine hasn't been in the window for about 4 or 5 months. The little glue dots on the metal richbrook holder thing messed up so it's just in the door pocket. Never had any grief as it'll show up on the ANPR all cool I assume.
SashaSXI

31st Jul 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Straight from the horse's mouth:

quote:

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive.

This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

Dunno why i didnt even think to look there and come here first xD
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jul 10 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought that the offence was not displaying the disc, ie. its not enough to own it or have paid for it, it needs to be in the screen.

I would appear a degree of leniency has been introduced now that you can buy them online.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your vehicle does not have a tax disc displayed you can be fined, doesn't matter if you have one or not, but in reality you would probably be just reported to DVLA and they would make the decision

obviously if it was within the first 5 days then you wouldn't get done

Not exhibiting licence

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

(3) Subsection (1)—

(a) has effect subject to the provisions of regulations made by the Secretary of State, and
(b) is without prejudice to section 29

[Edited on 31-07-2010 by Tom J]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » None Showing tax Disks - Illegal? 24 database queries in 0.0748851 seconds