corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bought an astra for £150

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bought an astra for £150
RioVerde

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X reg 1.7 dti 16v estate. Has 99,500 miles on clock cambelt due in 500 miles should I bother as having it changed will cost as much as the car did. Ouch
Bonney

22nd Aug 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just try it yourself if you are handy with the spanners. The bits should be around £60 from the local motor factors.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Aug 10 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not when its worth that in parts and metal.
RioVerde

22nd Aug 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not handy with spanners. Work at Vauxhall so could get a mechanic to do it cheap,has full service history so should be a good engine. Might try and get a non genuine cambelt kit.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Aug 10 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That'll still cost you half the price of the car. It won't fail in 500 miles, it's just due. You might find you get a few thousand miles out of it and if it dies, strip anything of value and weigh the rest in. Scrap is over £100/ton at the moment so you'll do OK.

In this instance I'm thinking spend as little as possible. Otherwise its not a cheap car.
bobbyd1

22nd Aug 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you've got the car for 150 quid, its not a major loss if you only get a few thou out of it. its classed as a cheap runabout!
RioVerde

22nd Aug 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However I paid £450 for my astra f estate 18 months ago had cambelt and waterpump done when i bought it, front coil spring cup collapsed with corrosion. Going to weigh that in. In theory the astra g estate im getting is a better car than the astra f I paid 450 for so you could argue I have more to play with on this one. Plus if the belt goes I would be well pissed off as I am without a car now as it has no tax until i get insurance through the post.
davcohen

23rd Aug 10 at 04:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RioVerde
Not handy with spanners. Work at Vauxhall so could get a mechanic to do it cheap,has full service history so should be a good engine. Might try and get a non genuine cambelt kit.

that part is not expensive on trade club plus as far as i know you get another 10% off so either way would not cost you that much, plus chuck one of those mechanics a couple of drinks and they will do it for you

couple of weeks sell it on for a tidy profit
VegasPhil
Premium Member

23rd Aug 10 at 07:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it breaks you could stick it on ebay with a snapped belt and make your money back

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Fro

23rd Aug 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RioVerde
However I paid £450 for my astra f estate 18 months ago had cambelt and waterpump done when i bought it, front coil spring cup collapsed with corrosion. Going to weigh that in. In theory the astra g estate im getting is a better car than the astra f I paid 450 for so you could argue I have more to play with on this one. Plus if the belt goes I would be well pissed off as I am without a car now as it has no tax until i get insurance through the post.

Most ins companies can email you a certificate if you request one, saves waiting for post etc.
RioVerde

24th Aug 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cleaned it today, still waiting for insurance paperwork. Having it done saturday cambelt kit, drive belt and bulbs in display. Its quite a clean car apart from osr door is fucked. Hopefully get a few years out of it.
Crana

24th Aug 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

belt is only 20 quid :S
Twiggy

25th Aug 10 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Belt and service decent wash and there is £1000
djmattyh

25th Aug 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah do the belt, and then when you come to sell it you will get your money back and more as its diesel
Anty
Premium Member

25th Aug 10 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics
RioVerde

25th Aug 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics eventually bust tryin to get it on the road at min
RioVerde

25th Aug 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

busy** and it drives lovely
RioVerde

28th Aug 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cambelt kit done! and drive belt, Good job had it done as never had one and the tensioner was showing signs of wear. Runs lovely, lovely car.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bought an astra for £150 24 database queries in 0.2464068 seconds