corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 3 MOT fail points- advice on one please quick

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3 MOT fail points- advice on one please quick
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Sep 10 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XE corsa failed on this only

Wipers not clearing windscreen effectively- no probs new wipers it is then

Hazard switch faulty- in other words crap vaux switch which is common keeps sticking,hmm ok something from a scrappy or rig something up with an off the shelf jobby

never heard of this before??
Idicator flashes less than 60times a minute???
WTF? is this the relay switch, hazard or a combination of the 2??

any ideas to get this sorted tomorrow ideally as im off work and i will have no time what so ever when im back at work next week

i did laugh at the 1 advisory
-no rear seats or passenger seat and no seatbelts fitted either (err i think i already know that lol) what a jobsworth
SportBoy

16th Sep 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he advises that to cover his own back so not a jobsworth at all.

dunno why it would be flashing too fast tho? are you using the right bulbs? ie not using leds etc?

[Edited on 16-09-2010 by SportBoy]
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never heard of the indicators either, most MOT testers I know check if they work and that is it, never have I heard of that.
SportBoy

16th Sep 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they arent allowed to flash more than 60times a min or less than 30 iirc
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never knew that, mainly because I've never seen anyone test it that way, do you do that?
SportBoy

16th Sep 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh its not normally a problem . sometimes old cars stuggle . if there flashing too fast its nomr becasue a bulb is out or sombody is useing the wrong wattage of bulb or leds
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know abot the bulb thing as I get it in work a lot, you learn something new every day it seems
C2RL R

16th Sep 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think he is saying they are flashing too slow not too fast.
SportBoy

16th Sep 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh aye ..
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well they are smoked side repeaters, so have orange bulbs

"direction indicators flashing less than 60times a minute"

so is saying they are too slow, didnt have this prob last time and nothing has changed lights wise since it passed??

i still reckon it may be the old relay switch or the hazard switch itself as the car is 17years old after all
Chris
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indicator flash should be greater that 1hz, when you see older cars with the hot wire type of indicators they flash once every few seconds.

Slowness is caused to a drop in the timing constant in the flasher module, most likely caused by parts or under voltage would also effect the timing consant.

Scrapper for a replacement.

I found out many years a go when the hazards are in none turn off mode, ie press the button and they dont turn off.

Pull the switch backwards by gripping at sides, there is small click then press in once more and presto they switch off.

No need for that folded peice of carboard.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically change the module/relay that controls the timing, just chekcing thats the square box under the scuttle??
Scotty C

16th Sep 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now fucking picky was the tester!
Chris
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a black box with 3 pins,
have;

49 49a and 31.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Its a black box with 3 pins,
have;

49 49a and 31.

this is on the fuse panel inside the car i take it then chris? (sorry for looking a numpty, i know diddly squat about car electricals, bodywork, no probs but electrical is all alien to me)
Crana

16th Sep 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get an m.o.t from someone else?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Crana
get an m.o.t from someone else?

and pay another £50? id rather not
Chris
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah by the lights on warning buzzer, switch on the lights follow the noise or switch on hazards and feel for the clicking.

49 49a 31 are the DIN standards for the signals carried on the lines.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 3 MOT fail points- advice on one please quick 23 database queries in 0.4454782 seconds