corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refined Detail -v- Panhard PL17

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Refined Detail -v- Panhard PL17
Rich H

User status: Offline
6th Oct 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One from the beginning of this week. Owned by a reg of mine.

A bit of info for anybody interested (from Wikipedia):

"The Panhard PL17 was a motor car made by the French manufacturer Panhard from 1959 until 1965.

The model's name was derived from "PL" for "Panhard et Levassor" (the original full name of the company), with the "17" coming from 5 CV (fiscal horses, in the French power rating system) plus 6 for the car's six seats, plus 6 for the car's economy — 6 litres per 100 kilometres (47 mpg-imp; 39 mpg-US).

From 1963 or 1964, the letters PL were dropped; this approximately coincided with the takeover of the passenger car part of the company by Citroën.

The car continued to use the engines of the Dyna Z, both of 851 cc. The standard one gave 42 hp (DIN), the "Tigre" gave 50 hp (DIN). Engines were twin-cylinder air cooled "boxer" types, mounted unusually by the gearbox at the rear and by the two exhausts at the front! From July 1963 engines decreased in size to 848 cc, but performance went up to 50 hp (37 kW), and 60 hp (45 kW), respectively.
The front wheels were driven through a four speed gearbox with column shift, and synchromesh on the upper three gears.

The standard car weighed approximately 805 kg (1,775 lb), the Tigre 830 kg (1,830 lb). This light weight combined with the car's streamlining (with a co-efficient of drag said to be Cd 0.26) gave top speeds of 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph) and 145 kilometres per hour (90 mph) for the Tigre.

Suspension at the front by two transverse leaf springs, at the back by three torsion bars each side.
It was possible to remove the back bench to enlarge the already considerable luggage space to 527 litres (18.6 cu ft). This space was available from model year 1964, when the spare wheel was moved from beneath the luggage space to under the bonnet, where it fitted around the air filter. This was possible because the wheels have no centre — that is formed by the finned aluminium brake drums.

In 1961 a Panhard PL17 won the Monte Carlo Rally. Evidence that this was no mere fluke came from the PL17s that took second and third places, showing the a light-weight car with a 850cc engine could be more than a match for heavier cars with more muscular power units."

And on with the write up:

It is in immaculate condition due to living in Italy all of its life and being fully restored. It's also only ever had 2 owners! There wasn't a great deal of dirt on it as it's lived indoors for the past 16 years or so - only a small amount of grime from it's roadtrip on the back of a lorry to the UK and it's first rain shower on day of delivery. Unfortunately due to the weather upon my arrival (heavy showers), there are no befores.

The car was left in the garage and washed using Optimum No Rinse - a thorough strong pre spray followed by the normal ONR wash routine (inc. wheels) Underneath and arches are near enough immaculate.

Next up was a good couple of hours of metal polishing to make best of the original aluminium brightwork - unfortunately this is showing its age - it was very tarnished / oxidised and riddled with scratches. Polishing was carried out with several of the Briliant / Zeppelin polishes and sealed with Britemax metal sealant. This included the wheels and under the bonnet:

The car was then clayed with Bilt Hamber soft with weak Autosmart Reglaze as lube which made a huge difference - I doubt it's ever seen a clay bar before! (although there were numerous buffer trails so would imagine it's had some contaminants "mopped" off)

Next up was a thorough hand polish with Autoglym Super Resin, and finally topped with 2 coats of Dodo Juice supernatural.

Glass was cleaned with Espuma Crystal Blue, tyres dressed with Autosmart Rubber & Plastic dressing. It was wheeled outside for the owner to admire it in the brief spell of sun:

Interior was also in brilliant condition - this was just given a quick hoover out, and the leather cleaned with Gliptone and conditioned with Zaino. No pictures of the interior as it was back in the garage by this point.

A very unique car to work on, and one that I enjoyed. Apologies for the lack of photos!

Thanks for looking,

Rich
3CorsaMeal

6th Oct 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Owned by a reg of mine.

not read detail yet, but had to read that above 5 times as i was reading it as "reg" and not "reg"

3CorsaMeal

6th Oct 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie doesn't believe me about the optimum no rinse stuff.

what a strange looking car that is
Rich H

6th Oct 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jim.

ONR took me a bit of convincing to try, but it's all I use on garage queens or cars that can't get too wet (this one the owner didn't want me getting the underside wet) I also use it a lot in summer when normal wash routines aren't that easy or on cars that maintained very regularly.

Probably used about 3 gallons of the stuff since giving it a go 20 months or so ago
Jambo

6th Oct 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jim

Strange car that! Kudos though
Doug

6th Oct 10 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to put more details on your FB posts!

Post up a new album for each car with some details
Cole

6th Oct 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or instead of your facebook refined details facebook
Rich H

6th Oct 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have time

I will try - the only stuff I tend to put on FB is via my BB as I can do it whilst at the job.

I have just become a paid up supporter on DW so more write ups will be appearing on there and less on here seeing as this is just meant to be a Corsa forum these days
Cole

6th Oct 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooh the secret room has been opened lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refined Detail -v- Panhard PL17 23 database queries in 0.0392330 seconds