corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Question for the Puma owners..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for the Puma owners..
Kano

User status: Offline
17th Oct 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know theres a few on here.. What are the 1.7's like on fuel and what do I need to look out for?

Needing a second car as I'm possibly changing job this month and will be doing a 25 mile commute if I get it.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the heater blows hot and cold, if constant either or probably heater control valve, not too much a big deal cause its only £27.

check for rust on rear archs and the sills, especially around seat mounting points and the chassis rails, oil level, as oil level is crucial to be maintained in these engines, check for smoke as well, the bores are nikasil lined as they are essentially a 1.6 bored out, early engines suffered from nikasil (bore lining) failiure until production moved into europe then they were ok, (about t reg onwards)

check that when the car goes over 12mph the abs pump makes a clicky grindy noise, you will hear it, this is it doing a self test, if you dont hear anything could be a sign the abs pump is on the way out.

if the car is digital mileage i can tell you how to put it into diag mode which will tell you if the car has any DTC's

check cambelt has been done, interval is 80k or 10 years whichever first, can be quite a costly job on these engines

rev the engine and check for any misfire or flat spots, coil pack is common on these

road test it and check the car steers straight and does not veer or pull from side to side, worn lower arms are also quite common although they are only 50 quid a side plus one hours labour to relace

check for knocking on rear going over bumps, could indicate worm beam bushes

check the electric front windows rise up and down smoothly and that when going into the rubber at the top of the door it doesnt catch and pull the rubber in with it, again common and there isnt really a fix for it, some people find silicon spray sorts it

apart from all that, cars are a great drive, you will enjoy it

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by Steve]
Kano

17th Oct 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car in question:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270646884164&_trksid=p2759.l1259
Kano

17th Oct 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta Steve, I've asked him about the belt so will see if its been done. Not fussed either way as I'll do it myself and know its done right with a new pump etc.
Ben G

17th Oct 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a good example, but wheres the central brake light on the boot? mines an x reg and has one.

with regards to fuel economy, i get between 270-300 miles to a tank depending on how i drive, which i think works out about 35mpg.

fun to drive, bit dodgy in the wet if you drive too fast and not very good for cruising on motorways as they rev high at 70-80mph, but i do on average 60 miles a day and it's fine for me at the moment.
micra_pete
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cambelt is 5 years i think, but otherwise Steves advice is lovely
Ben G

17th Oct 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve knows all about puma's, legend.
richc

17th Oct 10 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use to average about 38 in mine, and never touched a motorway!

Think when i first got it (smashing it through all the gears), I think least it did was 29

I went to london it in (sat at 65-70 all the way) and did something like 46 mpg when i worked it out at some shite hole garage in ilford!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Question for the Puma owners.. 23 database queries in 0.0743952 seconds