corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Best way to buy a new car...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best way to buy a new car...
Tomnova16
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Oct 10 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best way to do it is to never owe more than the car is worth. Basically when you drive it away it will be worth less than the loan. Basically if you lose job etc you can clear it by selling.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Oct 10 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
You wouldnt pay interest on the remaining balance surely.
You pay interest on the debt while you are in debt, based on the expected length.

That is why you will get a lower figure if you settle early than you owe at any given time. Because if you settle you're no longer responsible for the borrowing past that point.

The duration of the loan is very important because it dictates the total amount of interest and therefore the portion of monthly payment which is interest. It also decides when it will be that the car will have equity - ie. you'll owe less than it's worth.

If you take a loan over 5 years and try and sell after 2 you'll generally not be at that point. 3 years you might be depending on things like deposit and interest rate and of course the rate of depreciation of the car. Don't forget, a petrol Vauxhall will need a lot of cash in terms of monthly payments to get it square, particularly an old shape one.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Oct 10 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Best way to do it is to never owe more than the car is worth.

Which without a big deposit isn't really possible.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes indeed. I'd say save a bit first so you don't borrow so much but you've already reserved the car

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
ash_corsa

17th Oct 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So how does everyone else do it? with big deposits or big end payments?

The link to the used astra - its done 20k and is only 2300 less than the brand new one. Surely that wouldnt be a good deal?

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by ash_corsa]
corsa-sxi

17th Oct 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are plenty from evanshalshaw with various mileages and they are quite popular, perhaps you could strike up a deal?

its up to you, but with the new mk6 out prices may not hold as well?

and you said new was £12.6k

thats 3k, saving 25% because its a year old.

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by corsa-sxi]
FlamingCorsa

17th Oct 10 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi stranger, hows thing?

buying new cars only ends in big losses, be it through lending/finance or through deprication! but come people just seem to accept that as part of a cars expences i guess.

which is y i would not buy a new car, best of buying an older one:-) and only pay for car outright so u own it all
Fro

18th Oct 10 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be going for it if you need to borrow 12k and the car is costing a few hundred more than that. You will end up in negative equity from day 1.

You should try and get some sort of deposit behind you and get something that has already taken its first hit of depreciation imo.
mwg

18th Oct 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one seems to like it on here but I'd be looking at PCP/HP etc. and see what you think. Works for some people. Especially if you are only going to have it 2 or 3 years.
A2H GO

18th Oct 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
I wouldn't be going for it if you need to borrow 12k and the car is costing a few hundred more than that. You will end up in negative equity from day 1.

You should try and get some sort of deposit behind you and get something that has already taken its first hit of depreciation imo.

THIS. I learnt this the hard way, having lots of expensive cars on finance over the past 5-6 years and at the end of it you own nothing as the payments are eaten up in interest and depreciation. Currently driving a clio and saving to buy something I acutally own.
whitter45

18th Oct 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
No one seems to like it on here but I'd be looking at PCP/HP etc. and see what you think. Works for some people. Especially if you are only going to have it 2 or 3 years.
XE Col
Premium Member

19th Oct 10 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a bank loan, that way you have cash effectivley go to the dealer and ask for a discount for a cash sale
John

19th Oct 10 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not seen a dealer do a 'cash deal' in years, they actually don't like taking physical cash anymore.
whitter45

19th Oct 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've not seen a dealer do a 'cash deal' in years, they actually don't like taking physical cash anymore.

agree - your more likely to get disocunts and better deals by taking their finance as they get money for doing this and then make money on the interest you pay
XE Col
Premium Member

19th Oct 10 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well maybe not waltz in with cash but a collegue recently bought a car payed on debit card and got 1500 off
A2H GO

19th Oct 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Agree. Personally i'd get a bank loan and buy private. If its 6 months old it will come with warranty, will have already taken a hit on depreciation and will be far cheaper than dealer prices.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Best way to buy a new car... 24 database queries in 0.0173960 seconds