corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » suspension thoughts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author suspension thoughts
Kev S

User status: Offline
10th Oct 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi im building a corsa rally car for night events (b roads and some off road use) but im on a fairly tight budget and was wandering if anone has any good ideas on suspension setup? at the moment i have standard rear shocks with 40mm spax springs and them cheap black bilsteins on the front with standard springs. has anyone on here used springs and arb off the corsa combo van before as they would be abit stiffer wouldnt they? and also raise the front too? i am also trying to find a cav rear arb as iv heard they make quite a difference. any feedback would be appreciated thanks :-D
Rich H

10th Oct 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're doing a rally car, you can't really afford to skimp on important components such as suspension and brakes surely?! After all, they're the bits that will be subjected to the most abuse apart from anything!
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Oct 10 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cav ARB goes on, read this - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=532634
Kev S

10th Oct 10 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say I've skimped on brakes as I have astra gsi disks all round? More than capable in my opinion. I was only wandering if there are any cheaper alternatives to expensive bilsteins as I'm only a beginer so dont fancy spending too much.
Rich H

10th Oct 10 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't saying you had skimped on brakes as I didn't know what you had, but to me things such as brakes and suspension shouldn't be areas you look to spend as little as possible on.
spikefrost17

10th Oct 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best setup i had on a budget was spax springs front and rear, spax dampers front and rear (but leaking on the front ), 1.0 anti roll bar front, sport anti roll bar + k mac anti roll bar rear - worked damn well on smooth to medium rough tarmac. had 195/50 15 tyres so as to absorb some of the rough tarmac, wilst not being to tall for when you're hanging on on the smooth stuff
Kev S

11th Oct 10 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what difference is the 1.0 anti roll bar? also what is k mac rear arb? ye i have 185/60/14 so a fair bit of give in them. im still not sure about spax springs on the front as the ones i have at home are 40mm lower and i could do with all the clearance i can on the front as the sumpguard is pretty low to clear the manifold
c20letandy1988

12th Oct 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

avo coilovers all round is what im running mint they are simular to the gaz ones been refurbed with reciepts cost me 380 off here full set
spikefrost17

12th Oct 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

off the top of my head i think th o/d of the 1.0 anti roll bar is 22mm, the sport one 24mm? The reasoning behind fitting it was to let the car roll more, allowing the tyres to dig in a bit more progressevley (can't spell that lol) as the spax spring rates are quite stiff - which is great for stopping the car diving under braking, but not so good for grip in corners as a stiffer bar restricts how far your inside 'unloaded' wheel can drop out the arch, making it loose contact with the ground sooner than it would with a softer roll bar, which in turn means the outside 'loaded' wheel becomes overloaded too quickly and you loose grip - if that makes sense?
Yeah i know what you mean on the ride height, possibly is a bit too low with a sump guard - all i would say is if you fit springs with a higher ride height make sure the car sits either level front to rear, or with the front pitched slightly nose down - slightly nose up and it will handle like crap as the weight transfer will be all wrong
hope that helps?
Kev S

16th Oct 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right thanks. someone was telling me to have the back slightly lower than the front so the car sits level under breaking :-s sounds like a good tip with the antiroll bar tho :-) i've also read here about not having the front antiroll bar. would this make the car handle alot worse or... thanks for the replies
Kev S

24th Oct 10 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is a corsa 1.2 8v front arb much thinner than a sport arb? or is a 1.0 thinner again? iv picked up a cav rear arb so im debating about fitting the both to make the biggest difference.
daine
Premium Member

24th Oct 10 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kev S, if your going to be on road most of the time you could set it up like my track car, Astra 40mm appex springs front with G maxx shocks,GSI antiroll bar. The back has corsa 60mm spring and G maxx shocks, GSI antiroll bar and Cav SRI antiroll bar

New Poll