corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Grand Designs

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Grand Designs
mwg

User status: Offline
6th Nov 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of these people are bonkers on Grand Designs. As soon as they start taking on the role of project manager themselves it will go tits up, it never goes to plan. They don't have a clue. I dread getting involved with jobs where the client is running it. They are always the worst.
Limecat
Banned

6th Nov 10 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you do mwg? Something architecture related I assume?
mwg

6th Nov 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for a Civil & Structural Engineering Consultancy
AndyKent

6th Nov 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're Building Surveyors/Project Managers and get involved with these sorts of clients all the time.

Often the conversation comes up of "Why can't we just project manage it ourselves" to which we reply look at the stress people go through on Grand Designs

Several still do go ahead and do it themselves, but they don't realise just how much is involved.
Limecat
Banned

6th Nov 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

Brew boy?

I often regret fucking college off for an engineering aprenticeship and not going into architecture at uni.
mwg

6th Nov 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah

Lead/Head/Chief/Principal CAD Technician/Drawing Office manager or what ever fancy name you want to call it Used to just be drafty back in the day
Simon

6th Nov 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Limecat
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

Brew boy?

I often regret fucking college off for an engineering aprenticeship and not going into architecture at uni.

Really? I'm in my sixth year of uni now and busting my balls may qualify one day
Limecat
Banned

6th Nov 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must be an interesting job?

Mind you, I always say I bet brain surgeons get bored doing the same thing each day.
Ben G

6th Nov 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my ex's dad was an architect and was happy when i told him i wanted to go into that line of work.

she had massive tits aswell.

bet i'd had got a great job with her
Mad Moe

6th Nov 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've completed a couple of residential developments for Private Clients and after the last one swore I would never do it again, the sheer incompetence of some people is astounding!
Tiesto

6th Nov 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's all we do at our place, resi sites for all the major developers. Hate it

[Edited on 06-11-2010 by Tiesto]
Ben J

6th Nov 10 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm dying for someone to have shit loads of money and not give a shit about it being an "Eco" home. Just throw hundreds of thosands at it.
Fad

6th Nov 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Most of these people are bonkers on Grand Designs. As soon as they start taking on the role of project manager themselves it will go tits up, it never goes to plan. They don't have a clue. I dread getting involved with jobs where the client is running it. They are always the worst.

The problem is most projects of this scale are client lead despite having an architect involved. All the professional team have to bow to them as they are ultimately the employer and paying their wages. If you pay a main contractor to take care of the project there is still no gurantee of a project on budget.Every project we work on ends up with the client making alterations with the main contractor which quite often fucks with the regs side of things and the remedial work often costs them.

I got to say though major respect for people who take it on as there is no other way to learn other than being in the deep end.

Also I am not suprised that came in at 180k the price as he had no land costs and with it being recent people will do anything for money. I am currently dealing with a traditional build 3 storey dwelling which is for four luxury flats with under pass parking. The contract value is £230,000. Three years ago that would of been much more!!

[Edited on 06-11-2010 by Fad]
Fad

6th Nov 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
I'm dying for someone to have shit loads of money and not give a shit about it being an "Eco" home. Just throw hundreds of thosands at it.

You will find eco homes are not a gimic its often the reason they get planning consent. Have you noticed the majority of the homes on Grand Design are close to conservation areas and in picturesque settings? Without green credentials they will also cost the occupier a lot of money in the future. Asuming most of these projects are homes they have to be sustainable so in 20 years time they are not crying about shitty heating bills and crumbling walls.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Grand Designs 23 database queries in 0.3726449 seconds