corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Trying to get a job!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Trying to get a job!
Norcy91

User status: Offline
14th Nov 10 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i've realised that finding something you want to do when you're 19 is quite hard! I have no idea what i want to do, i've had interviews to be an apprentice mechanic but haven't heard back from them yet, and the fact i'd start on basic apprenticeship wage (£100 a week) puts me off a lot with a car to run (inc insurance each month). I've applied at an engineering company as well who have decided to tell me they aren't sure about taking anyone on yet.

I've been working part time in a supermarket for the last 3 years which i did while i was in 6th form and at college after that, but they're never keen on giving out more hours and never seem to have new full time places available!

Every job going seems to be looking for people with experience in that particular job or certain qualifications you would gain by doing an apprenticeship or similar, so therefore rules me out of those jobs as i don't have any of this experience they're after!

Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Mad Moe

14th Nov 10 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people have had to put up with the shit wages at the beginning of their working life, lets be honest until you have any specific training and experience in a role you aren't really worth a lot to anyone
Norcy91

14th Nov 10 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i already know that, which is why i was looking at apprenticeships. But £400 a month for a year when my car insurance is £160 a month doesn't make it worthwhile.

Fair enough if i'd of done it at 16 i'd be on a pretty decent wage for my age now, but i didn't know what i wanted to do then.
Mad Moe

14th Nov 10 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your best bet would to look at a trade where you could potentially do guvvy jobs at the weekend, Joinery is always a steady profession and lot of oppotunities for weekend work
mattk

14th Nov 10 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on £40 a week when I was 16, £50 a week when I was 17 and £120 a week till I was 20 doing my apprenticeship

its all worth it in the end
Tommy

14th Nov 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My first I.T Job i was on £320 a month, gotta be done.
fred7

14th Nov 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i did my appren at 19 i was on £69 a week workin away from home and havin a flat to run and car and live! it sucks but its for a year and my first WEEKS wage was more than i earned in a hole year so it makes up for it.
Nath

14th Nov 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just keep applying. I was in a pretty dead end job for 7 years before landing the job I have now.
Twitch

14th Nov 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 21 and i run a golf GTI 2.0 and my phone bill plus a few other bills on £200 a month. right now i would kill for £400 a month lol. Your at the perfect age to look into a carer. last thing you want is to be 22-23 and having to go back to collage because all you've ever done is work behind a till. the sooner you start the better. i'll admit its not great for the first year or two but the pay rise jump is quite alot and worth working for.
adiohead

14th Nov 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last thing you'd want is to be 28 and a loser like me
ssj_kakarot

14th Nov 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
When i did my appren at 19 i was on £69 a week workin away from home and havin a flat to run and car and live! it sucks but its for a year and my first WEEKS wage was more than i earned in a hole year so it makes up for it.

£69 a week so

£69 * 52 = £3588

your first weeks wage was

£3588 :-/ good job eh

Marc

14th Nov 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on £110 a week at 17.
ssj_kakarot

14th Nov 10 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
Im 21 and i run a golf GTI 2.0 and my phone bill plus a few other bills on £200 a month. right now i would kill for £400 a month lol. Your at the perfect age to look into a carer. last thing you want is to be 22-23 and having to go back to collage because all you've ever done is work behind a till. the sooner you start the better. i'll admit its not great for the first year or two but the pay rise jump is quite alot and worth working for.

its even worse being 25, getting excellent college grades, then a degree

then

finding out its fucking worthless and you cant do shit with it, and have to look into aprentiships which meens basically ill start college again

lifes funny sometimes
Scotty C

14th Nov 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was an apprentice in my last 6 months of level 2 and all the way through level 3. Got paid £100 a week and got treated like a piece of shit. Got quilifed in June just gone, can't find a job for shit, as my Boss sacked me as soon as I got Quilifed.

[Edited on 14-11-2010 by Scotty C]
SnK

14th Nov 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started my Ford Masters Apprenticeship 2 1/2 months ago, everything is sweet! Yeh you have to do the usual apprenticeship crap, but i'm enjoying it. The lads i work with in general are sound! And i'm on £3.50 an hour at 19 year old. Yeh the moneys not great i work out with just over £600 a month usually, which t.b.h is enough to pay all my bills, car insurance, mobile, tools and whatever else. And have a good social life! Although next few months will be tight seen as christmas is coming! hah. But i'm quite savvy with money, i buy what i've wanted for awhile and the rest i stop myself from splashing. Saving 10% of my wage a month in a ISA Direct savings account. <Only started that last month so have only got £70 saved at the moment, but it's there
Norcy91

14th Nov 10 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SnK - I had my interview at ford nearly a month ago, I've been in touch with them about it and they haven't once been in touch with me about the job which they apparently were doing over a week ago! Also I don't get how you're getting £3.50 an hour and they've said I'll only get £2.50 an hour even though I'm 19 as well
LeeM

14th Nov 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have u rang for back or u just gonna wait to see if they ring u?
Norcy91

14th Nov 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bit I just wrote said that I've been in touch with them, but they haven't bothered to contact me at all
Mark B

14th Nov 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch

200 that sucks.. you signing on a take it?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Trying to get a job! 23 database queries in 0.1268611 seconds