corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop running slow - only when on internet/ more so when watching videos

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop running slow - only when on internet/ more so when watching videos
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
16th Nov 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As title, the laptop's been running dog slow when I've been trying to watch videos online (namely family guy/ cleveland show on sites like megavideo or zshare, but it does it with youtube as well). I've got a computer speed monitor on the gadget bar and when the above happens it looks like this:

The key is:

Green line - CPU1
Purple line - CPU2
Blue line - RAM

Right now, just with a browser with CS open in it it looks like this:

I can't understand why it spazzes out so much, it's only started doing it recently. My dad changed the router from the Netgear one we were using to a Belkin one but surely that's nothing to do with it?

Anyone any ideas?

[Edited on 16-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 10 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the video choppy (i.e. lagging)?

Does the audio play OK?

What is your Internet connection speed? (go to http://www.speedtest.net and post the results).
alan-g-w

17th Nov 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate, exactly like that, the audio goes as well. Most of the time it's a case of the video freezes but the audio keeps playing, only in what sounds like slow motion. Also, even now as I'm typing, the letters are taking 2 or 3 seconds to appear on the screen after I hit the button. So it's not as I thought just when I'm watching videos, it's just whenever I'm pressing/ doing anything.

These are the results I got from the speed test:

That's got to be bad?
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes that speed is quite bad mate!

Without getting more detailed info about what your laptop is doing, I would suspect that it's probably trying to download updates for Windows/anti virus/whatever other software might be running, this would account for the delayed action when you type.

The lagging video will also be caused by your Internet connection speed.

I think the first thing to do would be to try and fix your connection to the Internet. Do you know what sort of speeds you got before the router was changed?
alan-g-w

17th Nov 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These readings were from the speedtest thread with old router. Don't know why it's used a different server though...?

I did download ZoneAlarm firewall software, when it installed it told me that it might make the computer run slow for while until it 'accustoms to my preferances' or something like that. Didn't think it would make it run like it is though.

[Edited on 17-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
ed

17th Nov 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flash causing your computer to run badly? Nahhh, can't do that, never heard of Flash doing anything of the sort.
alan-g-w

17th Nov 10 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what you mean there mate.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 10 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ZoneAlarm won't affect what speed the router connects to the Internet at, it will only affect what you do on your laptop. Any anti virus/security software will slow a computer down to some degree due to it scanning any files that are opened/saved "on the fly" - in other words, in real time.

I honestly think your first port of call would be to sort out your Internet speed. Router is either likely to not be configured correctly for your ISP, or it's just shit.

If the old Netgear router still works, go back to using that and make a note of the settings in the router config (let us know if you need help with this), and then compare it with the settings on your new Belkin router.
alan-g-w

17th Nov 10 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool mate, I'll give it a bash. Where you mentioned updates by the way, I went to restart it earlier and I think it installed some - it said I needed one more 'important' update as well. It asked me if I wanted to see what it was and it ended up being a thing to check if the trial version of office 2007 I've got is infected or something. I cancelled that after the restart and it's running a bit better now, I'll see how it's doing with the viedos and shit.

Cheers for the help mate.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Nov 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alan-g-w

18th Nov 10 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, got the old Netgear router set up and did a speedtest with these results:

I've done a disk cleanup and total computer defrag and the laptop's still running slower than a 2 legged dog. Even when I was watching a DVD last night on it the movie was jerking and freezing, just like the videos on the internet do. I disconnected from the net and straight away the laptop got 10x faster, the speed monitor didn't come about about 10%.

So if I know it's the internet that's doing it, what can I do to fix it?
Sam
Premium Member

18th Nov 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK well I think you have/had two separate issues here:

1. Your new router is incorrectly configured or duff

2. Something on your laptop is downloading stuff off the web whenever it's connected

I would suggest downloading HijackThis (don't worry it's not dodgy):

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe

Open it and click on "do a system scan and save to log file". It might popup a message about your hosts file, just OK that box and when it's finished doing its stuff it'll open up the log file in Notepad; paste the contents of this in here so we can see what's happening on your laptop.
alan-g-w

18th Nov 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucked about with it a bit more after posting mate, meant to update. I deleted all my temporary internet files and history and it seems to have sorted it so far, the speed meter's not gone over 50%.

This has happened before, it's a royal pain in the arse. It's as if IE's storing so much info/ data that it can't handle it.
adiohead

18th Nov 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Hijack This log would be ideal, but at least run Malwarebytes or something just to make sure.
alan-g-w

18th Nov 10 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate got MBAM installed, I'll give it a wee whirl and see what it comes up with.

New Poll