corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine running with no oil

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine running with no oil
antnee

User status: Offline
8th Dec 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After my incident on Sunday, the engine was running a few times with no/little oil in it, the highways agency guy also had it under load/boost when it cut out too .

(I know its a bit vague but,)

How likely is it I am going to have internal and turbo problems (oil cooled turbo)? or is it the case of the engine running at all with no/little oil = fucked?
Mertin

8th Dec 10 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hard to say really. Why did he have it under load / on boost if there was little or no oil in it?
As long as it wasnt long enough for the turbo / engine bearings etc to overheat and sieze which I doubt. Wouldve caused excessive wear too if run for a length of time
Iv personally never been in that situation so cant really comment, just my thoughts
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ran a turbo derv for 100 yards and it killed the engine.

I'd be surprised if you didn't have any damage
antnee

8th Dec 10 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know, I told him I think the sump was cracked as the oil light had flashed at me (then gone out) and it had cut out twice on me (while trying to get it out)
big eck

8th Dec 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be amazed if it didn't have damage of some sort mate. Why did you run it in the first place
big eck

8th Dec 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never mind lol

Cracked sump
antnee

8th Dec 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know if the sump was gone or not, as the oil light flashed (and beeped) but went out.
pow
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eeeek
Steve
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil light probably meant lack of oil pressure, might not have been because you were completely out of oil
Wrighty

8th Dec 10 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i did my turbo in, my car ran for less then 20 seconds with little oil in, and it spun a bearing....sump off, check shells imo.

if there was NO oil init, well..its fucked init
antnee

8th Dec 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it probably had little oil in it, there was a fair bit of oil on the ground

Root

8th Dec 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

incoming: hefty repair bill
Wrighty

8th Dec 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id prepare for the worst. sump off and check your bearings for starters..its worth taking the head off to check everything up top. vag shells are a tenner a piece so 20 quid per rod. be lucky if youve got away with it
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ran a 1.3 petrol just on idle, left it running till it cut out, topped up with oil and it started and ran fine. Thought I was gonna be in trouble for that one
tom130691
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personly think it will be fine you didnt loose all oil, as it was lossing it slowly and you only lost pressure once when you did it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine running with no oil 23 database queries in 0.0150580 seconds