corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » So my Sky+ White is knackered .........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So my Sky+ White is knackered .........
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 11 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a big deal because i have upgraded to sky+HD however i took the hard drive out of the old unit after the red light started flickering. Have put it into my pc as an internal slave hard drive, its a FAT system i know but does anyone know any software packages that would allow me to access what i had on the hard drive and convert them into mpeg2 or such like format? im also considering trying to fix the power board on the sky+ white box so i can have it in my bedroom.
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no idea if it is possible but could you mount the drive in FTK Imager and look for file signatures? See if the files are stored as a known type with a header and footer then just carve them out and convert them?
John

3rd Jan 11 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The files are stored as the raw unencrypted stream, there is no way whatsoever to convert them.
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to this thread you not correct, John.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/16624-copying-sky-hd-programs-pc-hard-drive.html

I have not tried this personally so I cannot vouch for it's accuracy but it does seem possible. If the program is doing it then my way also seems theoretically possible.
John

3rd Jan 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can copy the drive yes, can't do anything with the files outside of the sky box though.
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

There's a program called +Extract which can copy the DVB transport streams recorded on the SkyHD disk onto a PC. You can then use a program called Project X which will take those transport stream files and "demux" them into viewable MPEG2 files, provided the TV programme was recorded from a free-to-air channel (like the BBC channels).

John

3rd Jan 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know you could do that, that's of limited use though, anything you can do that with is probably online.
Edd

3rd Jan 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why bother seems like a massive wate of time?
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

3rd Jan 11 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found that skyuser website and managed to get some of my programs converted into mpeg format just takes a while to do. amazing how much stuff is on it on the anytime bit of the hard drive

New Poll