corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Mortgage Holiday

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mortgage Holiday
AlunJ

User status: Offline
9th Feb 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone here ever taken a mortgage holiday? Would like to know the pro's and con's, I need to find some way to temporarily sort out my financial situation.
Toby
Premium Member

9th Feb 11 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you read your t&c's my mortgage will only let a holiday of what i have overpaid which is nothing lol
AlunJ

9th Feb 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha that would just be my luck, well I've been paying a year so yeah probably nothing! I only want a month or two.
AndyKent

9th Feb 11 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My first direct mortgage allows me to take up to 6 months at a time, but they look at your circumstances individually and may not allow you to. That changes lender to lender though so you might be ok.

By taking a holiday you are effectively extending your term, so over the life of the mortgage will pay a lump of extra interest.
AlunJ

9th Feb 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, I'm with the halifax, I may have to pop by and have a chat with them tomorrow perhaps. 2months or so off isn't going to add much interest really?
AndyKent

9th Feb 11 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not that much, but say you're paying £400/month you'll be paying interest on an extra £800 every year versus what you pay now.

Say 10 years at 4% = £300ish.

Not that much in the scheme of things, but a hefty amount versus what you avoid paying short term.
CORSA NUT

9th Feb 11 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were with Nationwide and did it a few year ago. Basically you still pay the mortgage protection and the interest etc that your not paying gets put onto the full term of the mortgage...carefull though it's a but TOO nice not paying it
Ben G

9th Feb 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm with halifax too and iirc i can have 1 or 2 months mortgage holiday per year I THINK.

best to check your contract though as it will definitely be on there, i remember reading it.
deano87

9th Feb 11 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My parents did one. They could choose either to extend the term by that number of months, or choose to pay more but finish the terms as they were going to.
AlunJ

9th Feb 11 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben not sure where on earth my contract is doh! , going to pop in tomorrow and see what they say.

New Poll