corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Abit of lens abvice please.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Abit of lens abvice please.
Matt.H

User status: Offline
24th Feb 11 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Canon 1000d and have been looking at getting a longer lens for airshows etc. I have already asked about this but a mate is selling some Canon gear. I have been looking at the Canon EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM. Mate is selling an 18-200is. Not sure how much he wants for it but which would be the more suitable lens for what I want to do?
AndyKent

24th Feb 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generally longer the better, but for me aperture is more important. I'd rather have a short lens that can shoot in low light than a long one which can't.

Assuming the 18-200 is the 3.5-5.6 you might as well go for the 70-300 purely because its longer.
Matt L

24th Feb 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

18-200 would save you swapping lenses for planes that are on the ground but may not have the reach for the ones in the sky althouh tbf they're usually low so should be fine.

both have is so should be easier to manage at full zoom so id go for 18-200.

ps hows the camera going? (assuming your the lad i sold it to?)
Matt.H

24th Feb 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen an article which says the 18-200 has a 35mm-equivalent range of 29-320mm. Now I don't fully understand this dslr jargon just yet so not sure if that's a good thing. Yes Matt it was me you sold it too. Tbh not really had a good play with it but there is so much stuff you can adjust on it its knowing what I need to do to get good pics. Everything I've took just messing about have been very average really. Taking it on holiday in a few weeks tho so will see how I get on then.
Matt L

24th Feb 11 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it just means because your camera has a 1.6cropped sensor the actual range is 29-320mm where as if the lens was put on to a camera with a full frame sensor it would be 18-200.

doesnt really mean a great deal tbh.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Abit of lens abvice please. 24 database queries in 0.0131800 seconds