corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whats the deal with being a Mason??

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats the deal with being a Mason??
emicen

User status: Offline
4th Mar 11 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
My Dads mate is one, its just a boys club where you go to get away from the wife and smoke cigars tbh

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Its basically an invitational group in a local area. Usually members are business owners etc and its all very you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours.

Ran a Mason's function once at the hotel.

a friend of mine is one, as his is Dad and his Grandad. I have been invited to two events (dinner dances) and got on well with it. been invited to a third dinner but i have a wedding invite that day so can't make it. last time he asked if would be interested in joining, my GF is convinced he was going to ask me next time to be one, will have to wait and see now.....

but in my limited experience at the dinners and a very open look around the temples the above is right. a load of chaps getting together doing right (raising for charity) and using their business contacts to help make life a bit more bareable with some ceremonial joining methods....

Exactly. Favours yes, secretly running the country and flaunting rules and regs no.

Funny everyone likes to theorise about back slapping but none seem to know about the amount of charity work they do.
DaveyLC

4th Mar 11 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an invite only secret society which is basically an "old boys club".

It generally revolves around favours so in essence the members all end up exploiting their own positions resulting in everybody ending up with free or cheap stuff.

Its all very self indulgent but can you blame them when we live in a society that will give a furnished house to a familly of crack heads.

[Edited on 04-03-2011 by DaveyLC]
Whittie

4th Mar 11 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is so much shit in this thread it's unreal.

It's a hell of a lot of fundraising for charities, rather than exploiting their job positions. People would soon get kicked out of their lodge if that's all they're in there for.

[Edited on 04-03-2011 by Whittie]
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like having a big dinner party where you don't want people round your house
adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the men who have (may have) walked on the moon are freemasons
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its just people who want to feel important, as they have the money but still don't find they have the celebritity status they desire.

Nismo

4th Mar 11 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Yeah its business related as Ben said , local communitys where back handers go on, Mr A needs planning permission to build a 10 story block of flats in a grade 2 listed area... gets the planning without any problems... Mr A is well in with the Masons where Mr B is the locol mayor etc...

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by Nismo]

No it isn't.

If you enter thinking its all about backhanders, back scratching and stonecutters style empires you'll be sorely disappointed and probably not welcome for long.

Well my experiance of the local masons is exactly like that
Russ

4th Mar 11 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad was a bricklayer
adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the secret willy shake
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i killed a bee on the lavender bush with my bare hands
RichR
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not overly secretive; I got taken round the Jasper lodge in Stoke on Trent; into the main meeting halls etc, whilst I was at a friend's engagement party. Her Dad and my ex's Dad were in the Masons at that lodge so they were allowed to use the function suite free of charge. Considering you were in the middle of one of the most deprived areas of one of the most deprived cities in the UK, you wouldn't know it. So much oppulence and combine that with the link to the Potteries, the collection of Wedgwood and Doulton etc was brilliant. Must be worth a fortune.

Its got religous connections especially to the methodist church but not overly religous inside the buildings. Its basically a boys club, you scratch my back type affair. All in different businesses with different services they can bring to the group at vastly reduced prices etc
emicen

4th Mar 11 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by emicen
quote:
Yeah its business related as Ben said , local communitys where back handers go on, Mr A needs planning permission to build a 10 story block of flats in a grade 2 listed area... gets the planning without any problems... Mr A is well in with the Masons where Mr B is the locol mayor etc...

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by Nismo]

No it isn't.

If you enter thinking its all about backhanders, back scratching and stonecutters style empires you'll be sorely disappointed and probably not welcome for long.

Well my experiance of the local masons is exactly like that

As per Whittie's post, thats nothing like how it is and like I said earlier on, you'd get booted for trying to behave like that.
Nismo

4th Mar 11 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe not where your too, but in my town that is exactly what happened and everyone knows it, no one else could get planning permission yet this guy did and that is the reason.

I cant speak for the masons where you live, however i can speak for the ones where i live.
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats like the woman who lives here whose 10yr plan was to join the council, grant her own planning permisson then quit the council after she had built her holiday homes/barn complex.

genius
Sam
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does one go about finding out where their local "lodge" is?
adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
How does one go about finding out where their local "lodge" is?

just follow random men around until you find it
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the difference between a man and a random man?

is it the way they walk?
Fonz
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Its an invite only secret society which is basically an "old boys club".

this is a myth, the saying "know one to be one" isn't true. like i say i have been asked if i would consider joining and have been given some pamphlets on it all. it does say that anyone can be a Mason, you don't need to wait to be invited or know someone to become one.

there are 3/4 musts which i forget now, but 2 are
> believe in a higher being
by this they imply God, although a Mason's belief of the form of "a higher being" is his own opinion, and is not necessarily inline with Christian teaching

> a clear criminal record
a Mason is not allowed to have a criminal record, Mason's who collect one are removed from a Lodge.

i think another one is want to be a better person, or something like that, have an interest in helping others.

providing you answer the musts correctly then you're in....or at least starting the process
chrisritch

4th Mar 11 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
whats the difference between a man and a random man?

is it the way they walk?

a man drives a car with a VR6 derived engine.
whitter45

4th Mar 11 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

missus dad is in it and doesnt really speak about other than he will be highest ranking next year (think every year they move up a rank) therefore invited to the dinner so wil be intersting

From what I can gather and I dont know much about it its very much like roundtable where they do charity events and meals etc
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they will not save anyone from the war of 2012 i'm afraid

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whats the deal with being a Mason?? 23 database queries in 0.0262370 seconds