corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Push bike help. Are these any good?.....Got one!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Push bike help. Are these any good?.....Got one!
Bonney

User status: Offline
13th Mar 11 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking for a decent hardtail bike to start out with, Wanted something with disk brakes, and that would be ideal to learn on.

Just seen one of these advertised for £100.

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/Shogun/gatecrasher200.html

Aparantly it has just had new rear axle with bearings, new freewheel, new disk and calper and new quick release front and back. Aparantly it just needs setting up!

Would it be a good buy or should I keep on looking until someething else turns up?

[Edited on 29-03-2011 by Bonney]
Simon

13th Mar 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mechanical disc brakes so won't be particularly good, also what type of riding are you doing? That's a slalom style bike, with a TINY frame
Bonney

13th Mar 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just want one for playing around with, Either going to downhill tracks, playing around and just riding about on, Basically an all rounder.

Taking that with the smaller fame it isn't any good for any of that?
Simon

13th Mar 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well slalom style bikes are predominantly for riding berms, jumps etc. Smaller frames so they are ligheter and can be thown around easier. If that is what you are going to be doing then that style would be ok. But then if you are going to use it for riding on roads particultaly often then it isnt going to be the comfiest, and you will probably need a stupidly long seat tube to be at a decent ride height. In my understanding of all rounder I wouldn't think it was a great choice but if it is all round messing about then maybe.

I don't know too much about slalom bikes in detail but if its £100 I'm not sure how decent it will actually be. £100 isn't going to buy much of a bike, especially if you are going to throw it downhill, unless you get lucky second hand
Bonney

13th Mar 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a second hand one, Priced one new and they are around £260.

Didn't realise it was a small framed one. Might keep looking until something else comes along!
Simon

13th Mar 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is 13", obviously it is height dependant but a full size 'normal' hard tail is 18-20+"
deano87

13th Mar 11 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're not into riding already steer clear of designated downhill and freeride trails.

Get some kind of XC bike and learn how to ride and handle a bike off road in your own space and time 1st.

Sounds like I'm being a dick but it's the best way to learn.
jacko198

13th Mar 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is going to be tiny. They also weigh a tonne.

We sold a couple last year at our shop and we have had them back a million times with problems. Poor quality!
Mertin

14th Mar 11 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats your budget? Iv just got a 2010 boardman comp hardtail, £550 with 20% off deal at halfords, and it seems a good all round bike with a good spec for the money
bally2010
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shogun gatecrashers are shit ,best bike for learning on is saracen xile 03-05 model
Bonney

29th Mar 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of an update.

Seen one on ebay that took my fancy. Was exactly what I was looking for.

Its a GT Outpost. Aparantly its last years model. Was purchased then used once, It was only full of dust from sitting in a spare room.

Just going to get it out at the weekend and give it a go, Only rode it around the block and i'm fooked
C2RL R

29th Mar 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know nothing about that bike but it has some good reviews. You'll be surprised how quick you go from being goosed after a short ride, to being reasonably fit. Just stick with it!
Bonney

29th Mar 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to go on an old ride i used to do. See how I get on with it. Will see how i go then start riding to work. Don't want to be knackered whilst i am stood on my feet all day, The job is bad enough as it is!
Gareth F

29th Mar 11 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres mine after a wash, I used to do trials (untill my £1000 bike that i built up got knicked) but also like XC so i bought this to do everything
DaveyLC

29th Mar 11 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
Been looking for a decent hardtail bike to start out with, Wanted something with disk brakes, and that would be ideal to learn on.

Just seen one of these advertised for £100.

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/Shogun/gatecrasher200.html

Aparantly it has just had new rear axle with bearings, new freewheel, new disk and calper and new quick release front and back. Aparantly it just needs setting up!

Would it be a good buy or should I keep on looking until someething else turns up?

[Edited on 29-03-2011 by Bonney]

Thats exactly the same as the Apollo X-Rated... If you're after a cheap piece of shit then that is the bike you need!
antnee

30th Mar 11 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to get out on my bike this summer

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Push bike help. Are these any good?.....Got one! 23 database queries in 0.0142698 seconds