corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » One for the bikers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author One for the bikers?
ste_p23

User status: Offline
12th Apr 11 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right well anyone who knows me will know that i have i have been pondering on the idea of getting a motorbike. Ive always wanted to do it and various people have put me off and ive decided its time to try it

Im looking for abit of advice on how to start out really i have the option of doing my CBT which i am led to belive is quite cheap to do and isn't to hard to pass. I know after this you can only ride a 125cc bike untill you take a full bike test and pass.

The other option is to do a Direct Acsess scheme on a bigger bike which i am led to belive is like a 3 day crash course and at the end of which you do your full bike test.

I was thinking as a newbie it would make more sense to do the CBT and buy a 125cc bike and get used to riding and then if i like it i can look into doing my bike test and going onto bigger and better things.

However a friend of mine who has been biking for 10 years seems to think that the 125cc bikes are to light and twitchy and will put me off so he has suggested the Direct Acses scheme.

Any advice would be great cheers
Darren

12th Apr 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm riding a destricted RS125 on CBT, which I know isnt technically legal, in the real world can't see it ever being a problem. Doubt i'll do my test as the 125 is plenty for what I use it for. The worst thing for me is having gay L plates lol. Round here CBT is around £110
Bonney

12th Apr 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do your CBT then buy a 125, You may only have it for a few months or less before you want to go and do the rest of your test.

You are better off going for the Direct access. The test is split into 3 sections now. You have your theory, then what they call module2 which is an on site ride. There is course layouts on the test website then your road ride.

I think now that when you pass your test you are restricted, I did my test before it all changed (Where as it was like the car test, 2 PARTS) .

Best bet is to go to your local riding school and ask for some advice, Since I did mine it has changed a little!
ste_p23

12th Apr 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads two different responses to consider so will have a good think about it
stubs

13th Apr 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd say do your direct access... but that's only because that's the way I did it

However I will say, definately consider going with Williams Motorcycle Training: http://www.williamsmotorcycletraining.com/index.aspx

That's who I used, simply because they were so cheap... and I was pleasantly suprised at just how good they were. I can't reccomend him higher
Simon_16v

13th Apr 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently doing my bike test.

you can either do just your CBT and ride a 125cc with the L plates but if you do decide to keep the bike etc you will need to re-do your CBT after 2years.

Or do your theory, CBT and then do your direct access scheme which is the route i'm taking. Last thing i wanna do is buy a 125cc bike and then be disappointed at being sat revving the nuts off it everywhere
ste_p23

13th Apr 11 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs

However I will say, definately consider going with Williams Motorcycle Training: http://www.williamsmotorcycletraining.com/index.aspx:

Cheers mate thats who i have been looking at and ive heard some good feedback

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by ste_p23]
stubs

13th Apr 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ste_p23
quote:
Originally posted by stubs

However I will say, definately consider going with Williams Motorcycle Training: http://www.williamsmotorcycletraining.com/index.aspx:

Cheers mate thats who i have been looking at and ive heard some good feedback

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by ste_p23]

Seriosuly pal... he's a biking genious. Very very positive and supporting and I was left with the feeling that I'd ripped him off... he's genuinely interested in his students doing well but also being safe. I honestly can't say enough good things about him. Not to mention, he's funny as fuck! You'll have the time of your life if you let him teach you, I promise!
sand-eel

13th Apr 11 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would do the full DAS test tbh, the DAS doesn't have to be an intensive 3 day course (I did one 2 hour lesson over several weeks) than did theory test, mod1 which is an off road test riding round cones at low speed and shit, then mod2 which is the road test, the DAS big bike test is exactly the same as doing the "restricted at 33bhp for 2 years test" the only difference is what bike you do the tests in (up to 33bhp bike or higher powered, I used a kawasaki er6), so basically no point in going for anything but the full licence.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » One for the bikers? 23 database queries in 0.0132999 seconds