corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article
Ojc

User status: Offline
4th May 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have gone wrong 9/10
Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think you have gone in the head 9/10
Ojc

4th May 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you are an adder 9/10
DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i think when diesels go wrong 9/10 its more expensive then petrols

Because all modern ones are Common Rail Turbos'.. So you've got injectors that are lightyears ahead of the technology used in regular petroleum injectors and a turbo charger oh and a pump that runs at like a 1000psi
Eck
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I think people need to look past the instant savings and think about the long term:

Economy
Common rail diesel engines are FAR more efficient then their equivilent petrol cousins, even hybrids find it hard to keep up! Yeah you might only save a few quid if you are doing short journeys but think of how long you'll be driving between fill ups.. time is money and all that

Insurance
Diesels tend to be cheaper to insure, they are the sensible choice and (at present anyway) a lower risk category in most cases.

Emissions
I'm sure nobody really cares *BUT* when it comes to paying for your TAX there are loads of common rail diesels that fall into the £30 bracket and just about every other modern diesel will be a lower bracket than its petrol cousin.

Residuals
In the current climate diesels sell better, its a fact! Yeah they are more expensive to buy but they depreciate far less and are easier to shift.

Reliability
Due to the nature of a diesel engine running on principal pre-igniton and not revving so high they are inherently stronger and generally last longer. Granted injectors and turbos can be a heafty cost if they fail.

IMHO most people who can't see the benefits have never owned one, its the same as the whole "I hate motorcyclists" rant which always seems to be by someone who's never ridden a bike on the road.

Open your minds

I couldn't give a monkeys about any of that, including reliability I've driven a Vectra SRi CDTi several times and I simply hate the way the engine works. But then again, I'm still young enough not to give a fuck about it going tits up as the maw and paw will help
Jambo

4th May 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would consider a diesel for a commuter car.

320d.Msport
dannymccann

4th May 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
But then again, I'm still young enough not to give a fuck about it going tits up as the maw and paw will help

Kind of a poor attitude to have They wont be around forever...
Corsa_Sport21

4th May 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So have we came to the conclusion yet that it won't take 12k miles to see any kind of saving by taking a diesel over a petrol??

Regardless of how many miles you do,diesels are cheaper to run.
deano87

4th May 11 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking lol at the Deano bashing.

I got rid of my Punto which was costing me about £150/month in fuel. I bought another petrol which costs me the same.

However the new car was 1/2 the price it should have been and mint. For the price I paid, the derv would be a complete dog, therefore potentially costing me more in the long run, etc blaa blaa. Derv also costs more to buy at the pump.

Everyone's story is different.

<<  2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article 23 database queries in 0.0137901 seconds