corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Need a new windscreen for the Taxi!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need a new windscreen for the Taxi!
SetH

User status: Offline
7th Jun 11 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so I came back to the Passat after work the other day and there is a 20cm curved crack in the Windscreen. Left it in a pay and display in a fairly safe area, no idea how the hell it happened I cannot possible see what a Human would accidently do to cause such a Crack.

Anyway, have never gone down the route of sourcing a new windscreen for a car and before I start phoning around I just wanted to see if anyone has and what your experiences were?

1) What kind of damage to you think im looking at £££'s?
2) Any recommendations for suppliers/fitters
3) I think the glass is slightly tinted from Factory and dont want some cheapo mong glass tbh

Thanks.
Darrell16v

7th Jun 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Autoglass repair,Autoglass replace"
Ben J

7th Jun 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring your insurance company. Whats your excess? Is it low? As you'll only pay that and it won't affect your no claims.
SetH

7th Jun 11 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ben, I'll give that a try first.

Excess is fairly low iirc.
Ben J

7th Jun 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your windscreen excess will probably be different to your policy excess. Mine is £75 as long as I use my insurers approved windscreen suppliers.
Phillips_91

7th Jun 11 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my insurance excess is £60 for windscreen but i can only use there supplier, but tbh the guy was pretty good, friendly and proffesional
Bobber123

7th Jun 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a new windscreen will cost about £300 if your paying for it, if you pay your insurance excess about £60ish mine was anyway, but make sure you check with your insurance that its not classed as a claim on your insurance, i remember reading somewhere ages ago that some insurance companies are starting to class windscreens as a claim, not sure how true that is but its worth a try. also i have seen a job sone by national windscreens and it was shit, could see all the glue right round the window, looked shite, go with autoglass i rekon, they should do a like for like replacement to they should get the exact same screen.
SetH

7th Jun 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok It is being done by Autoglass through my insurance at a cost of £65 that does not count as a claim

Cheers for help all.
Ben J

7th Jun 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine doesn't affect no claims but deffo check first!
Ben J

7th Jun 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Ok It is being done by Autoglass through my insurance at a cost of £65 that does not count as a claim

Cheers for help all.

Winner.

[Edited on 07-06-2011 by Ben J]
Ben J

8th Jun 11 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bloody windscreen is cracked now!

Coming off M6 at Haydock and two bloody big rocks/stones size of my fist come off a truck and come bouncing down road. One went under car, other his top corner passenger side and put an 8 inch crack in screen. I wear if it had hit centrally it would have come through.

[Edited on 08-06-2011 by Ben J]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Need a new windscreen for the Taxi! 23 database queries in 0.0096180 seconds