corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Uprated Shocks and Springs Help Please Also have Pics :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Uprated Shocks and Springs Help Please Also have Pics :)
Chris_corsab

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 11 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello got these of ebay £100 total with postage Rears are new springs 50mm Spax are new and front shocks been used for like 100 miles so i thought it was a good buy...

now for the help bit...

As you can see by the picture the rears have like bump stops? and stuff on the already... thats not my problem...

but with the fronts do i need any think else ? like bump stops etc? or do i just fit them using the standard top mounts etc? just take them of standard and put them on the apex and away i go?

or do i need to buy something else to complete this set?

Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remove the standard front shock. Spring compressor on the spring to hold it and remove the top mount and bump stop from your standard shock. These should fit straight onto your new shock. May be a dust cover too.
Sometimes a good chance to fit new top mounts when changing suspension, as if it needs replacing youve to remove the shock again
Chris_corsab

23rd Jun 11 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate... would these be top mounts i need? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/corsa-b-top-mounts-/170657621858?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bbfca762#ht_500wt_1156

also can i fit them with out a spring compressor as i havnt got one :/
Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye pretty sure thats them and its the same top mounts for all models, maybe differences with pre and post 97 but unsure. Aye you'll need spring compressors as the spring will be hard pushing against the top mount and you need to compress it to hold it while u take off the mount a d then remove the spring and gradually let the spring expand. Not got a mate with a set or someone local from here could help? Iv judt borrowed from mates in the past
3CorsaMeal

23rd Jun 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have done all my suspension swaps without spring compressors, but i had a 22stone friend leant on them while i undid the nut

have always found most spring compressors to be a pain in the arse, they spin round the spring etc
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still would use them world of pain if something goes wrong........

May need to cut the bumpstops down on the fronts. How low are the new springs?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt reccomend someone doing their first suspension change to have a friend push down on the spring while he removes the top nut.

Also, a swan neck / offset ring spanner makes things alot easier for removing the top nut. Make sure you have one of them
Chris_corsab

23rd Jun 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Guys...

gavin they are 50mm as said above would the bump stops be okay of the standard ?
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cut mine down when I fitted 60mm shocks and springs to my corsa b

Yer drop neck spanner is needed. If you dont have one I got a set from lidals of all places

Chris_corsab

23rd Jun 11 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do i know how much to cut the bump stops down mate? :/ iv got all tools as im doing it with dad just confirming things before we go and do it... well apart from spring compress
Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think it has to be exact, just a bit off them for it being lowered. Say maybe half? Thats just a guess though
Chris_corsab

23rd Jun 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha sorry for being thick ive never lowered a car before ahhh
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer think I took about half off Just make sure you do the same on both

Take your time with it and you will be fine, other then some seized bolts is nice and easy

gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check this out, theres a pic of some cut down stops in there

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=205259

Chris_corsab

23rd Jun 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could i just ask what does cutin the bump stop do ? Pahah whats it used for? What happens if i dont cut it ? Ah sorry for being dumb mannn
Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your shock will Be closer to the bump stop with it being lowered and may find it hitting the bump stop and being crashy / bouncy as it does this. Cutting it down will let it go lower or shock will compress more before it hits the bump stop. Hope that rough explanation helps. I took my bump stops out after it hit them alot, bad mistake! Didnt think of cutting them down, that was a few years ago
Chris_corsab

24th Jun 11 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate think im good to go now just gota get the spring things and il do it
Gary
Premium Member

24th Jun 11 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a spring compressor.

Last time I did it I nearly killed Whittie!
Whittie

25th Jun 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Buy a spring compressor.

Last time I did it I nearly killed Whittie!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Uprated Shocks and Springs Help Please Also have Pics :) 24 database queries in 0.0170970 seconds