corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Leaving employment & going to uni

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Leaving employment & going to uni
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Jul 11 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Also, we haven't really touched actual cars this year, we were in teams and built nitro engine RC cars. It will mainly be 'classroom' work, lectures, etc. Hands on work will be very limited, usually only on the Formula Student cars, as any other cars are usually looked after by post grads.

Was very simelar at Huddersfield where i was. Absolutely zero practical. Obviuosly the theory is important but for me i need to see real word uses for what we were learning and most lecturers didnt.

Maths was terrible as i hadnt come from college (went to uni at 23) so the maths was fresh in everyone elses head. I'd not done any since i was an apprentice so found it difficult to catch up. Couple that with the worst math teacher known to man and i lost interest.

Hated the people there. Apart from an american guy i knoocked about with they were all 18yo, just left home, no life experience and were just there so they didnt have to get a job. Classes were difficult because they were all disruptive etc etc. Felt like been at high school again.

Wasnt for me.

Fucking hate students!

Rob B

1st Jul 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the same as you, went to college did IT, didn't want to carry on with it then went into work for two years and couldn't see my self carrying on with customer service, so went to Uni and did Motorsport engineering.

The principals they teach you are all good and well but you'll never really use them.

My advice would be go and do it, you can still have 1k a month if you have a job paying 500-600 per month, you just have to work hard.

Make sure your placement is what you want to do, i went to pyro motorsport (clio cup team) and i'm now there sole data and strategic analyst for 6 clio cup cars.

Go for it, you only live once ! :thumbup:

[Edited on 01-07-2011 by Rob B]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Jul 11 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
I did the same as you, went to college did IT, didn't want to carry on with it then went into work for two years and couldn't see my self carrying on with customer service, so went to Uni and did Motorsport engineering.

The principals they teach you are all good and well but you'll never really use them.

My advice would be go and do it, you can still have 1k a month if you have a job paying 500-600 per month, you just have to work hard.

Make sure your placement is what you want to do, i went to pyro motorsport (clio cup team) and i'm now there sole data and strategic analyst for 6 clio cup cars.

Go for it, you only live once ! :thumbup:

[Edited on 01-07-2011 by Rob B]

They have some immense clios there! was there a couple of years back getting my car MOT'd next door.

I have an interview for Merc next week in there F1 division doing IT
Russ

1st Jul 11 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it, can't regret anything that you don't try.

Didn't Brad Fincham do this?
edd1.0

1st Jul 11 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same situation , im a qualified mechanic , but lost my job now workin a job with no prospects so im going to uni in bham to do business in sept, im worried but i would rather regret doing it then regret not trying

antnee

1st Jul 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Hes at Mclaren now, has some awesome cars too
Matty W

1st Jul 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The general response seems to be you won't know till you try it.

Got a phone call this morning to say I have an unconditional offer. Just gota fill in a form and turn up in September.

Bit nervous about a new start
LeeM

1st Jul 11 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only read the first post but I'm in an almost identical position only a little older than you. I start uni in September and can't wait! I was worried but just though fuck it, you can't really go wrong with an engineering degree
Russ

1st Jul 11 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by music1990
The general response seems to be you won't know till you try it.

Got a phone call this morning to say I have an unconditional offer. Just gota fill in a form and turn up in September.

Bit nervous about a new start
Worse case. You finish with no job and debt you don't have to pay straight away, best case, you get a job in motorsport
Russ

1st Jul 11 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

He had my favourite ever corsa
antnee

2nd Jul 11 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done

Russ, he still has his current qualifications, so can still fall back on the old mechanics work
Rob_Quads

2nd Jul 11 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you able to support yourself? i.e. do you live with your parents? Are they happy to support you.

I would not take much notice of the lecturer saying "Someone that was here is now there" Every lectutrer at a uni probably has someone that went on to do something really cool (they will have tought hundreds if not thousands of kids.

One of the key things IMO to think about is what are you aiming for. Are you looking at specific jobs after it. If so does this course tailor it self to that job.

While you may regret going you can also regret going. Could be the worst fealing to work your arse off for 2/3 years to only find that your actually no nearer your end goal

In many fields experience is key. Starting off at the bottom and working your way up can be just as good a way as going to uni and gett qualifications
Ste Muf

3rd Jul 11 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would read through some A level maths and Physics exam papers and see how you find it. As that's what you need to use..
SetH

4th Jul 11 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To the OP how old are you?

With regards to the advanced Maths I am sure there must be extra support/tuition available if you should find it a struggle.
ed

4th Jul 11 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Do you know if Brad is working at McLaren Automotive or in F1? I'm planning on applying for their next graduate intake, but I've a few questions.
antnee

4th Jul 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure, my bro talks to him on FB

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Leaving employment & going to uni 23 database queries in 0.0127590 seconds