corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Developers: Python

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Developers: Python
James

User status: Offline
15th Aug 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone worked with Python before? I've been given quite an exciting opportunity at work but it will involve working extensively with Python. I've only ever worked with .Net before.

It's not a very common language (yet), but in my industry it's pegged to be the next big thing:

http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/News_ITEM/newsItemId-34200

Any thoughts?
Doug

15th Aug 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use Python a lot to automate tasks.

Very good and very powerful language. Sadly my skills in it are somewhat lacking. But I might be able to help out with any questions you may have?
James

15th Aug 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really have any specific questions, just wondered how different it's likely to be compared to something like .Net. First impressions suggest it will be a lot different.
Dom

15th Aug 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've dabbled with Python (attempting to learn during free time) and it's ok. If you're coming from .NET then it'll be a bit of a 'head-fuck' as it takes a bit of getting used, but if you've tried Ruby then it's very similar.
Bit surprised python is heading into the finacial industry, i would have thought C/C++ or Java (Clojure) were the biggies considering their performance over languages like Python etc.

Edit - Only thing i can suggest is get a Python book (O'Reilly's Learning Python is pretty good, likewise their Programming Python is worth a read too) and get cracking.

[Edited on 15-08-2011 by Dom]
James

15th Aug 11 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I've dabbled with Python (attempting to learn during free time) and it's ok. If you're coming from .NET then it'll be a bit of a 'head-fuck' as it takes a bit of getting used, but if you've tried Ruby then it's very similar.
Bit surprised python is heading into the finacial industry, i would have thought C/C++ or Java (Clojure) were the biggies considering their performance over languages like Python etc.

I think it's likely to fit alongside C++ with C++ being used for any real low latency stuff. The main benefit of Python is the ability to knock stuff up quick using an agile approach.
Dom

15th Aug 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would make sense, you can knock apps up reasonably quickly and it's a lot nicer to read/interpret than C++.
Sam
Premium Member

16th Aug 11 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never coded in Python, but is it similar to Perl or C?
ed

16th Aug 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a go with Python once, I gave up when I found out your code wouldn't work if it wasn't tabbed correctly
James

16th Aug 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that's a good thing if anything. It enforces good practise and good coding standards. I got an eBook last night that I'm going to have a look through.
Paul_J

16th Aug 11 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

Free online:
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

actually having a quick flick through it, it seems to be targeted at web dev, and doesn't seem to go much into the functional uses.

[Edited on 16-08-2011 by Paul_J]
Reedy

16th Aug 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whilst i was at uni, we touched it a little but in the end the module leader changed it to TCL/TK. I have been told it is similar to TCL but I have not actually used it.
James

20th Aug 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've accepted the offer, as of 1st Sept I'll be the lead developer in a dev team using Python. Despite never having used it before.

The upside is that the whole team is brand new, having been put together using the best developers from other dev teams, none of us have used Python before.

The downside is that's it's the most high profile project in the whole company (global company, ~350k employees). If it goes well, it's high fives all round. If it doesn't, it's new job time...

New Poll