corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » I've been on a Photography Day Course, via GroupON

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I've been on a Photography Day Course, via GroupON
neoquip

User status: Offline
   27th Aug 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought off a GroupON voucher, a day course for beginners on how to use a DSLR. The group was no more than 10 of us, so it was lke almost having a ONE2ONE.
I found it very interesting to say I've only had my Eos500d about 4weeks, went through the settings and what each did then we went out to try what we'd been told.

The morning was spent in the 'class room' then in the afternoon we went around the grounds of Wollaton Hall in Nottm (some of you may recognise it 'Wayne Mansion' in the new BatMan film).

my slide show is here... you'll see various photos taken with different settings, Aperture and Speed, also ISO. Then I also had a go in B&W (all pix are in Jpeg.. RAW will come later, when I get to grips with the camera a bit more)
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/salsachatta/Photoraphy%20Day%20Course/?albumview=slideshow

some of the ones I like are here....

I think I'm gtting there, I only have the std lens 18-55mm-IS, thatcommes with the 500d too
AndyKent

28th Aug 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good effort - how much did it cost with the voucher?
neoquip

28th Aug 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£39 60% off with GroupON
AndyKent

29th Aug 11 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bargain! I just took ages learning bits as I go. Wouldn't pay £100, but £40 seems like a right deal.

Get yourself on TalkPhotography forums and check the events/meets section. I've started going along to a few lately and they're really useful actually. Only met a couple of dodgy photographer types
neoquip

29th Aug 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
I'm already on 'Photography on the net', i'll look at that one too.

Just bought a TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Les today... another steel.. £99.95... from Jessops camera shop... they matched their own online price.. as its £169.99 in STORE!!!!

been out tonight to give it a try....(along with my Cann 18-55mmIS lens)

I used a tripod and had a fiddle with various shutter and apature settings.. here's just a few...

[Edited on 29-08-2011 by neoquip]
neoquip

30th Aug 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the word i use is try
BluKoo

30th Aug 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neo, i'm glad you said something as I had been thinking the same, but then again, everyone has to start somewhere.

Neoquip - How much experience do you have in photography? Is this your first camera? Do you have a real interest/passion in photography? Or did you just buy an SLR and you'd like to learn to use it properly.
neoquip

30th Aug 11 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep.. bought dSLR and want to larn how to use it properly.
had compact camera before but want to do a bit more now
AndyKent

30th Aug 11 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the point in hating? He wanted to give photography a try, he did the course and whether or not anything was learnt it inspired him to go out and take more pictures.

Hence good effort.

[Edited on 31-08-2011 by AndyKent]
neoquip

31st Aug 11 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank you, what I did come away with was.. Practice
Daveskater
Premium Member

1st Sep 11 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Practice is everything, once you get used to all the buttons and settings on the camera then find your "style" then you can just keep on going from there really.

I'm not going to lie though, I do agree with Neo in that none of the photos you took are ground-breaking, although at this stage they won't be. Keep at it and the quality will improve.

Do you have a photo editing software program on your PC? As the B&W pictures especially are a bit grey and boring - but that's just because they're a desaturated JPEG. Start using RAW and use the greyscale feature there and fiddle with the colour levels and you can make much better B&W shots. The RAW system in Photoshop will look daunting at first but play with the controls and see what happens and what things you like. That's what I pretty much did and I'm happier with my pics now than when I was using JPEG and editing them with the "normal" tools in Photoshop.

Hope that's not too long and waffle-y There's some sense in there somewhere (I hope)

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
neoquip

1st Sep 11 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the Digital Photo Proffesional software that came with the Canon.
I'll have a look on that.
the idea of the photos for now was to see what each setting gave from one setting to another.It wasn't what i was taking pix of.. more of what the effect is when you fiddle with shutter speed/aperture/ISO etc.

Haimsey
Premium Member

2nd Sep 11 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw the same offer and was tempted, but in the end I didn't. Might look for something similar in the future.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
neoquip

2nd Sep 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can recommend it

check Andrew Wallis Photography I think he's got a few £39 places left.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » I've been on a Photography Day Course, via GroupON 25 database queries in 0.0119851 seconds