corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Bike Frame Sizing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day: Bike Frame Sizing
Simon

User status: Offline
2nd Sep 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hoping there are some of the bikers about tonight. I'm looking at a full sus bike on ebay that is 17.5" frame. I don't have a chance to go and sit on it before the auction ends which isn't ideal but its the perfect spec otherwise, I'm just worried about size.

I'm 5'10ish, my road/hybrid bike is 19" frame on 700cc wheels.

When frame sizes vary, is it just the seat tube dimension that changes or are the top and down tubes longer too?

If I got it and it was too small I guess the options are longer seat post, stem spacers etc? Would it be end of the world?

Thanks for any help, ebay is stressing me out
Kieran
Premium Member

2nd Sep 11 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you using the bike for bud? Downhill?
Adam-D

2nd Sep 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all depends on the reach aswell.

some ppl have long legs, short arms and visa versa.
Simon

2nd Sep 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah that would have been useful its mainly cross country with a lot of good downhill runs and a fair amount of climbs, mainly around the chilterns at the moment. My current ride is a 10yr old claud butler
AlunJ

2nd Sep 11 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 5ft10 and my MTB is 17"/43cm, my road bike is a 56cm

[Edited on 02-09-2011 by AlunJ]
Simon

2nd Sep 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is something I like to hear, I think I will go for it and worry about it being too small later
Kieran
Premium Member

3rd Sep 11 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

17" is about right if your using it for a downhill bike, because you need a lot of room to move about on the back. And a lower seat will give you that.

If you was looking for a mountain bike it would be about a 20 - 21" frame for your size.
mwg

3rd Sep 11 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people prefer a smaller frame on a mountain bike, bit more agile.

I'm about 6ft 3 and I've got a 19.5 inch frame.
Kieran
Premium Member

3rd Sep 11 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on riding style, if cruising about larger frame. Fast trails/cross country smaller.
LeeM

3rd Sep 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 5'10 with an average leg size and my road bike is 22" while i prefer a slightly smaller size for a mountain bike frame that would be too small for me
Kieran
Premium Member

3rd Sep 11 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a roadbike that's about right
jacko198

3rd Sep 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be ok for the DH runs and the more freeride type of riding as there is more space for you to move.

For climbing though it could be the wrong size.

Depending on how you feel on it, it might be worth getting one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54610

Maybe not that one, there are more out there for cheeper, but they are well worth it, makes it alot easier to drop and raise the seatpost on demand whilst riding. Without having to stop to adjust before you ride the uphill, then stopping to lowering it when coming back down
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

3rd Sep 11 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easyest way ive found for normal mtb in my 6 years in formby cycles is your inside leg -12 inches. Not always exact due to reach and shit but work out most times. Full sus id usualy drop down a size. 17.5 Should be sound for a 5ft 10. but as my brother (jacko) said the adjustable seat posts are awsome! Well worth the money. Just dont get a rockshox one. There shite hahaha

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Bike Frame Sizing 23 database queries in 0.2421789 seconds