corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Welding

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Welding
Jed D

User status: Offline
14th Oct 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as alex w says glove are an essential, well at least 1. i tend to just use one depending on the angle. or dont wear any, cheap way of getting a sun tan but its not nice

im just learning steve, done a few basics at college when i done mechanics but im working unpaid doing it purely for the experience and so far so good.
we've just done a huge bulk order of railings for the local church that need bars on the windows, 150 different shaped windows and the boss undercharged big time

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by JedDy]
richc

14th Oct 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Mig welding is easy. (I'm a coded mig welder btw and do it for a living)
Good advice on the material tbh, so much easier to learn on some decent material, I would start with a 6inch square of 6mm plate first and just run beads from one edge to the other covering the plate, then turn it 90 degree's and start again, also have a read up about the proper angles to hold your torch etc as it does make a lot of difference.

What you weld?
gazza808

14th Oct 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now any thing that comes through the door now.
But when I did my training and got the trade, I was welding up stair cases and 1.5-15tonne a frame mobile cranes. Hence needing to be coded for insurance purposes.

Can also tig weld, but abit out of touch with it now it's been that long.

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by gazza808]
richc

14th Oct 11 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Now any thing that comes through the door now.
But when I did my training and got the trade, I was welding up stair cases and 1.5-15tonne a frame mobile cranes. Hence needing to be coded for insurance purposes.

Can also tig weld, but abit out of touch with it now it's been that long.

[Edited on 14-10-2011 by gazza808]

What sort of NDT you lot do? Thats all i am getting at.

Its just we do alot of nuclear/sub-sea work and its all X-ray and Radiograph and it annoys the piss out of me when people weld stuff like digger buckets, and exhausts and think they are top welders and claim its easy. My farther-in-law is the same. They make exhausts and he laughs when anyone mentions MIG and claims 'anyone can do it' and all his work colleges think they are amazing and act all smugg because they 'can' TIG some SS exhausts. They wouldnt have a clue if it were Ali. Their welding wouldnt even pass DPI, never mind radio or the likes and for some reason it boils the piss out of me.
The welders at my place have to be able to weld MIG, TIG, MMA on Mild, SS, Ali, Duplex, weldox.

This isnt a personal attack; I have issues
gazza808

14th Oct 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ndt wise, one in five cranes had it's welds x ray'd etc and we'd get a report back (sent out so not completely sure what other tests were done),
but also after each weld we had to weld a certain piece on a test piece and that would be submitted to destructive testing on completion of the welding stage, and I would have to submit test welds periodically to be tested to check I was still up to scratch, obviously not as strict as your place, as you can imagine.
At the new place no testing at all lol, but we don't do any jobs where it's really. Needed now,
Hope that made sense as I'm posting on my phone.
Phoenix Autosport

14th Oct 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its well worth taking an evening course at your local college if you can, i did one a couple of years ago and it was geat to get some advice when learning so that you know all the basics and how adjusting feed speed and power will affect the weld.
i also picked up a lot of tips for car work as the guy teaching was a mechanic during the day
3CorsaMeal

14th Oct 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My grandads mate welded the Eiffel tower
Jonny.K

15th Oct 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all depends on what ur using it for but gassles welders are pish u cudny melt a milky bar wrapper with one for heavier stuff like structaural work id use a liquid cooled one but for working on a car youl be fine with and air cooled anything between 120-200 amp welder will be quite sufficient for you and MIGs piss easy ti learn if you can figure out to set your machine up then youl be fine if i can weld anybody can
Jonny.K

15th Oct 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
My grandads mate welded the Eiffel tower

bloody hell must have took him ages!:O
Jed D

15th Oct 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom G

15th Oct 11 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by F17_AJK
all depends on what ur using it for but gassles welders are pish u cudny melt a milky bar wrapper with one for heavier stuff like structaural work id use a liquid cooled one but for working on a car youl be fine with and air cooled anything between 120-200 amp welder will be quite sufficient for you and MIGs piss easy ti learn if you can figure out to set your machine up then youl be fine if i can weld anybody can

Mad mike couldn't!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Welding 23 database queries in 0.0099778 seconds