corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Started taking the old XE engine apart

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Started taking the old XE engine apart
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Oct 11 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys

Got bumblebee's XE swapped by Warren last week (pulls better than ever now btw)

but stripping the old XE down for bits as it sounded ropey near the end and when warren went to turn it round at his house the old XE packed up and wouldnt start again, so wanted to have a look and see what i could
a)strip for money to pay for the new engine and
b)shed some light on why it was so rattley near the end and then wouldnt start anymore

taken the head off and that all seemed ok but then noticed on the inlet side of the pistons some very slight valve tap has occured not sure if the engine skipped a tooth or did this in an earlier life

piston chambers seem to have been attempted at honing at some stage

sump off as well (sump pick up pipe bolts finger tight !! and pick up pipe loose) but oil pump seems fairly new and water pump seems ok also

so all in all what should i keep together or sell in bits?? has a coscast head - not sure if its worth more bare or with the tappets and camshafts still in? (tappets only recently changed aswell)

thinking to strip the bottom end bare and sell the crank on its own- or would i get more keeping the crank and pistons still in rather than disturb em'?

not expecting a ton of money from this but every little helps and all that
Corsa_Sport21

29th Oct 11 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its in bits you may as well just sell it in bits for spares.

That way potential buyers can have a look and see what they are buying.

Head will fetch good money.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, i suppose if someone is buying it they will use it to start a fresh build, fuck it im taking the crank and pistons out

i'll sell the head minus the cams aswell
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right final diagnosis;

oil return pipe being loose was the main cause i think for lower oil pressure and this caused the starvation of oil to the rest of the lump

removed crank and pistons, big end shells fucked on the crank and piston nearest to the oil pump (i thought one was going near the end) so glad i got another engine instead of throwing more money at this one,least i got some closure now lol

will clean the garage up tomorrow and put my tools away and put the worth while parts on ebay and such, the rest are headed for the bin

couple of beers now and a nice drive to milton keynes and back tomorrow in bumblebee
redtom

29th Oct 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad its all working well mate
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by redtom
Glad its all working well mate

cheers again for the new engine Tom, i reckon that ecu you sold me is chipped, absolutely flew on the way home on the M25 from warrens last week, drives so much better its a different car

some flash muppet in a A5 tdi got a shock when he tried to keep up...but failed
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
29th Oct 11 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got somewhere for the metal?

Put some places in Location Services if you need somewhere to weigh it in.
redtom

29th Oct 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, was a nice strong engine and yeah it has a superchip in it
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You got somewhere for the metal?

Put some places in Location Services if you need somewhere to weigh it in.

yeh there a big scrap mercant down the road from my old bodyshop (20mins away) but i think thers a scrap yard near bicester which is 10mins away aswell so well catered for in that case

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Started taking the old XE engine apart 23 database queries in 0.0077982 seconds