corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » World Debt ... Whom OWE's Who?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author World Debt ... Whom OWE's Who?
mwg

User status: Offline
18th Nov 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What will happen eventually? All you hear about is how much debt countries are in these days, will it ever go away/be paid off? Don't remember hearing about it a few years ago.

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by mwg]
mwg

18th Nov 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it as simple as this to sort out

It is a slow day in a damp little Greek town. The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit. On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the town, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night. The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier
grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel. The guy at the Farmers' Co-
op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the pub. The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit. The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note. The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town. No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism.
Russ

18th Nov 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conservatives fault for selling everything the government owned that made a profit to their rich friends.
sc0ott

18th Nov 11 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant seem to get my two heads around who we actually owe money to?

Say i take a loan out from the bank. I now pay my money to the bank until its paid off.

DaveyLC

18th Nov 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Conservatives fault for selling everything the government owned that made a profit to their rich friends.

It was the opposite really .. When Thatcher was in power our national debt was almost non existant.
DaveyLC

18th Nov 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

Just knocked this up which actually shows things don't look as bad for us as the figures suggest on first look

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by LiVe LeE]

But the politicians will keep telling us we're fucked so we spend more

People spend less when were told were in the shit. That's why were not pulling out of this. We need to spend our way out of this shit

Sorry I didnt explain myself very well They can use it as an excuse to tell us to spend and at the same time hike up taxes .. Its all rather ironic
Russ

18th Nov 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

It was the opposite really .. When Thatcher was in power our national debt was almost non existant.
because they sold everything
jrsteeve

18th Nov 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The simple fact is that MPs only give a shit about themselves and the thickness of their wallet. We've had nothing but corrupt governments for years, never actually doing much for the man on the street. We get no real say in matters that affect us, just fobbed off and penalised.

If you follow the political timeline Tory governments have always had to clear up after Labour overspends and cock ups, just when it stabilises there's another general election and Labour get back in so we're back to square one.
adiohead

18th Nov 11 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yep, it really is B.liar and Brown's fault
Tom

18th Nov 11 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Is it as simple as this to sort out

It is a slow day in a damp little Greek town. The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit. On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the town, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night. The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier
grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel. The guy at the Farmers' Co-
op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the pub. The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit. The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note. The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town. No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism.

Is the hotellier not €100 down as he was owed it and never actually got it
Russ

18th Nov 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. He started with -€100
Eddx14xe

18th Nov 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He borrowed the money from the german and the paid it back basically.
Tom

18th Nov 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah
mwg

18th Nov 11 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF does the German think they are waltzing around with a €100 note
Hammer

18th Nov 11 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The long and short of it is, as pertains to the Eurozone, the German's hold the key to a brighter future.

Whether or not they want to eradicate their historical legacy of war mongerers or not is another story.
baza31

18th Nov 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

World is doom and gloom
mattk

18th Nov 11 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
World is doom and gloom

depends how far you look into it. If I have beer and food in my belly on a weekend, diesel in the car and strings on my guitar Im generaly happy, I dont really give a shit about the news or what it has to say really
sc0ott

18th Nov 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just think food, drink and fuel costs money. Vaginas are free.
Russ

18th Nov 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

burying your head in the sand doesnt stop the fact the world financial structure could collapse at any minute
Eddx14xe

18th Nov 11 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder how this would effect people if we didnt know about it. Apart from not being able to find an appreticeship, it hasnt effected my life at all. Most employers wont employ people because they are unsure of the future. If it werent on the news every 15mins i wouldnt know about it.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
World is doom and gloom

depends how far you look into it. If I have beer and food in my belly on a weekend, diesel in the car and strings on my guitar Im generaly happy, I dont really give a shit about the news or what it has to say really

matt you lie
you are never happy

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » World Debt ... Whom OWE's Who? 24 database queries in 0.0158949 seconds