corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who knows about watches?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who knows about watches?
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needed to get the misses a watch as one of her xmas presents - neither of us are big watch people - she just wanted something to replace her broken one that looked similar...specifically told me not to spend more than £70-£100 as she will be scared to wear it day to day. We agree a £100 limit on presents anyway so im kind of limited with how much quality I can get

Purchased this today - was one of them on Amazon 'reduced from £419 to £79'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036ZBTKG

now while I don't believe this watch was ever sold for £400 - the discount drew my attention. It looks similar to her old one, it looks nice enough to me for the money.

Apparently Has & Cie used to be a mega expensive swiss maker, they were going bust, were bought out and now operate out of germany with some budget models being made in the far east.

My question basically is - I assume any ladies watch is gonna be able to be altered to fit at any capable jewellers? How much does this cost? And does anyone know if I have actually got some mega bargain here - or if, as I suspect - I have bought one of the new budget models from this reformed company....I dont really care if so cos its cheap enough and it looks like her old one so I know it will go down ok

[Edited on 22-11-2011 by Dr Pepper]
John

22nd Nov 11 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing to do with the old brand and probably lucky if It's worth £79.
Doug

22nd Nov 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a nice watch which is all that probably matters to her.

Most jewellers would be able to adjust the bracelet for £10-15
Dr Pepper

22nd Nov 11 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers- fine with me ..... dont really care about the cost of altering it - just checking its easy to do and im not gonna have to post it off to some random company
James

22nd Nov 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw an advert for Patek Philippe watches today and thought they looked nice. Found one I like on their website, looked for somewhere that sells it online:

http://www.worldofluxuryus.com/watches/Patek-Philippe/Grand-Complication/5140P-001/46_499_3370.php

$109k
Mase
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently got myself a Christopher Ward and I think it's awesome for the money....

Mase
Pete_vxl

22nd Nov 11 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Correct, daylight robbery. So many innocent people fall for the 40% thing they have. Aslong as she likes it thats the main thing but didnt you think of asking before you bought?
Pete_vxl

22nd Nov 11 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mase
I recently got myself a Christopher Ward and I think it's awesome for the money....

What did you get mate? He makes some really good watches, albeit mostly copies.
Mase
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C7 rapide I think it's called....

Mase
Dr Pepper

22nd Nov 11 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_vxl
quote:
Originally posted by John

Correct, daylight robbery. So many innocent people fall for the 40% thing they have. Aslong as she likes it thats the main thing but didnt you think of asking before you bought?

I wikid the company before i bought it so I knew the deal. For £79 I'm really not bothered- it's not her main present, and it's a very similar style to her watch that broke recently... As long as it's easy enough to alter the sizing I'm happy - sure it will go down ok.... Was just checking to see if this model had any relation to the old company- which I was pretty sure it didnt

[Edited on 22-11-2011 by Dr Pepper]
James

22nd Nov 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one is really cool:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens/c700sks.html

Do his watches really justify £800 though? You could get a much more well known brand for that price.
Pete_vxl

22nd Nov 11 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are trying to establish themselves now, they have a strong following from when they cheap, reliable watches with brilliant build quality. In the last 2/3 months they have changed the branding and stuck the prices up. The watch i bought has gone upto £400, as much as i love it i wouldnt pay that for it.

They still have some cheap watches on there though. Compaired to the watches they are mimicking its still a bargain, just not as much of a bargain as it would have been 6 months ago.
Mad Moe

23rd Nov 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate of mine has a Christopher Ward and I'll admit it appears good quality but how do they manage to get away with their designs? Their Divers Range is such a blatant ripoff Rolex it is unbelievable
Fro

23rd Nov 11 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a nice Next watch for a score-five the other day
John

23rd Nov 11 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All Christopher Ward watches are rip offs, so yes they do look nice, but that's to be expected when you can just pick from the best of other manufacturers.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Nov 11 at 08:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im watching you
Jed D

23rd Nov 11 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep an eye out on ebay pal...

i once let a really good one (sekonda or something like that) well worth £180+ go for just £2.95, and as i was useing someone elses account i didnt want to say its not going for that and get them a neggy feedback. i was a bit guttered
(unwanted gift)
Dave

23rd Nov 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't have been a Sekonda. They are cheap and cheerful £40-50. Seiko maybe?
Jed D

23rd Nov 11 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
Won't have been a Sekonda. They are cheap and cheerful £40-50. Seiko maybe?

not sure mate, got it for xmas off someone but i dont wear watches (phone tells me the time lol)
it was apparently neck end of £200 new and was unworn in its box with all the paperwork etc..

thought id get a fortune on ebay for it mega

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who knows about watches? 24 database queries in 0.0107012 seconds