corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Nitro Car problem. Anyone in the know?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RC Nitro Car problem. Anyone in the know?
Aaron

User status: Offline
28th Dec 11 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought myself one of these yesterday - http://www.modelzone.co.uk/radio-control-rc/rc-cars-and-trucks/off-road/mta4-s28-monster-truck-with-24-ghz-equipment.html

It isn’t the first nitro car I’ve had. I had quite a cheap one some months ago, however, due to my huge lack of knowledge and or experience of how to use them, I kept breaking it. I got to grips with my original car in the end; however, I’ve since decided to buy this new one.

So...

Today was the first day I had it out of the box, and I started the engine breaking in. I followed all of the manufacturer instructions, and made a point of reading each of the manuals front to back a number of times.

I was on the 4th tank of breaking the engine in, and the engine then cut out. When I went to start it again, there was a "pop" sound when I connected the glow started. I couldn’t get it going again after this point, and to this moment, I still haven't been able to. To me, from this moment, the engine just didn’t feel right as I was pulling the pull started

So far, I’ve checked:

Glow plug (I’ve changed it twice)
Glow Starter (I took the plug out and made sure that it glowed)
Reset all the engine screws (I’d only touched the HSN) back to factory settings
Carb settings - the gap is about 1 or 2 mm

The problem I have is that the engine won’t start, and, each time I try to get it going, I just flood the engine, resulting the need to remove the glow plug, tip the car upside and pull the started a couple of times to drain it.

It's going back to the shop at 09:00 in morning, so that the member of staff in there can help me, but, I was wondering if anyone on her might be able to shed some light on what the problem might be. Although I’ve learnt a lot about nitro cars as of late, I still think I’m a bit of a n00b.

Anyone?

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by Aaron]
Whittie

28th Dec 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Walby will know.
DaveyLC

28th Dec 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has it still got compression.. have you checked the glow starter and glow plug are actually working by testing them both off the engine?
Kippers

28th Dec 11 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a glow plug or glow starter prob.

If you have reset the fuel needles back to default and fuel is going in it must be one of them.

I used to have an Xray XB8-r and STS28 powered savage and they were a bugger to keep on top of engine tune wise. I'd recommend getting a lazer temp gun as this will help with engine tuning the high speed settigns
midlandvauxhalls

28th Dec 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try leaning the LSN off, standard settins will be pig rich
Aaron

28th Dec 11 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments.

Also, just to add, when i'm tryinf to starts it, after a few pulls of the pull starter, i can hear what sounds like air escaping, or bubbles in the exhaust. I arent quite sure what it is making the noise, but, it results in the engine being flooded thats for sure.

After doing some research on the tinterweb, i now also think that it could be starter related. I dont think its the actual plugs, given that i've changed them for brand new ones, however, i think it could be the glow starter its self.

Although it made the plug glow when i held it in my hand, it didn't glow all the way down the coil to the the very tip. Could this be part of the problem? Fuel is just passing by the plug a thinking "meh, not enough heat here....i'll just carry on into the engine and flood it"

Glow starter is now on charge, so i'll know more in the morning.

Keep the ideas coming though
Kippers

28th Dec 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put the plug into the end of the starter... it should glow all the way and very brightly

Did the plugs come with it or did you buy them? Different engines like different plugs. Dont buy shit make ones... i went through loads doing this.
Aaron

28th Dec 11 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i did that. The plug did glow, but not all the way to the end of the coil inside.

The plug in the car is the one which came with it, however, when the car stopped starting, i went and bought some more from a local model shop. The guy behind the counter asked what % fuel i was using (16), and then gave me some which were aparrantly for that type.

I tried the new plug, but the issue was still the same.
Kippers

28th Dec 11 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats odd.

Put the starter on charge over night.
Aaron

28th Dec 11 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i'm now thinking that it might be the starter not giving enough power to the plug, which causes the fuel not to light.

I thought i'd totally fucked the engine or something. I've been told by many that they're sooooo fragile that you only need to look at them and they can break.

How fragile are they? I was trying to start it for a good 30 minutes, and with every pull of the pull starter, i thought i was wrecking it even more! Am i worried about nothing?

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by Aaron]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

28th Dec 11 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Walby is on his hols

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Kippers

28th Dec 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there is excessive resistance in the pull start remove the plug and clear the excess fuel - Dont force it!

Ive never managed to break an engine as i look after them.

Make sure you dont run them too lean on the HSN and you should be fine.

Thats why a temp gun is good as you can moniter the temp and trim the fuel accordingly
Bobber123

29th Dec 11 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a few of these before, you can get different temp glow plugs too, some hotter than others, as mentioned before, it sounds like a starter problem. thunder tiger is a massive brand and they are quite a hardy engine capable of taking a beating and if you were bedding it in properly then im sure its fine, unles you set it up major bad and nackerd it that way. if it is still locking the engine with fuel after a while of starting then its deffo an ignition issue, your glow plugs should be glowing very hot and bright
Aaron

29th Dec 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took it into the store this morning. It turns out that there is some sort of air leak in the carb. To be honest, this went above my knowledge and experience of nitro engines, and the guy behind the counter said the same.

What's interesting is that the shop i bought it from (ModelZone) actually own Thunder Tiger, so the fact that this guy hadn't seen the problem before was quite a surprise.

I've left it with them to be repaired, and i'll hopefully get it back today or tomorrow.

The biggest indicator to me that something was wrong was that, as well as it not starting...my hand was getting wet when pulling the starter cord. This meant that fuel was leaking from somewhere. The guy in the shop quickly realised this too.

Thanks for everyones help
Aaron

29th Dec 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a call from the shop about an hour ago. The guy in there couldnt fix it, so, they've just swapped it for a brand new one. It was the display model, which i wasn't too happy about, but, i got them to give me a free fuel bottle plus a few new glow plugs.

What a nightmate I hope i have more luck with this one

Blog post

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Aaron]
edd1.0

30th Dec 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this promblem with my nitro rc car , on mine the fly wheel was loose causing air to escape

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Nitro Car problem. Anyone in the know? 24 database queries in 0.0107291 seconds