corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » trailer/caravan licence (B+E licence)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author trailer/caravan licence (B+E licence)
purple_corsa_gls

User status: Offline
29th Jan 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a post 1997 licence and wondered if anyone has done the category B+E licence test and knows what it involves. I have some experience of towing small trailers and want to pull a caravan, so want to know if I am likely to need many lessons, with knowing the basics of turning with trailers etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gary
Premium Member

29th Jan 12 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought you could pull a caravan anyway?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
29th Jan 12 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can pull a caravan so long as the complete unit weight is under 3.5t and your car is heavier than your caravan.

This would be the case for most combinations unless you have something particularly large.

Mike had done the test for B+E and I have done C1+E, what do you need to know? Couple of days' tuition, bit of reversing, shouldn't take too long.

Most difficult things for me were making the observations clear enough and present before any change, and the reverse I didn't love, need to get it close to a barrier but not hit it.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Jan 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it last year.

All the test involves is a reversing maneuver which is basically an S shape, ending in a marked out bay and the back of the trailer has to finish above about a 1-2ft deep mark, like so,

After that you have to un-hitch and then re-hitch the trailer then go for about an hour long drive.

The main thing that usually needs attention is nothing to do with the towing, it's getting your driving back to test standard, getting rid of any bad habits you've picked up etc.

I'd never towed a trailer and I had 2 days training, which I think was just about enough for me, I picked up the reverse in no time at all so most of those 2 days where spent driving around test routes getting me used to them and trying to get my mirror checking and everything in order rather than actually learning anything new.

Edit: Saying I picked up the reverse easily, the instructor I used actually used markers on the trailer and tow vehicle to assist so it was more a case of getting me through the test than teaching me to reverse.

[Edited on 29-01-2012 by Mike]
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jan 12 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stopping at Z I didn't like. I normally have someone trained in NATO marshalling in my mirror.
purple_corsa_gls

29th Jan 12 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? From what I understood on the DVLA site, any licence passed post Jan 1997 needs a further test. It would be a Qashqai and standard size caravan that I'd be pulling, so should be within the weight restrictions in that case. It's just to bring it back from France, so should be doable.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jan 12 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find out the weights, I would think you'll be fine.

Post 97 can still tow 750kg unbraked and over 750 within the conditions I posted.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Jan 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Stopping at Z I didn't like. I normally have someone trained in NATO marshalling in my mirror.

Yeah, just edited with a little point about my reverse.
Fonz
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_192285

quote:
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary Category B licence, you can drive either of the following:

•a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kilograms) maximum gross weight towing a trailer of up to 750 kilograms maximum gross weight (up to 4,250 kilograms in total)
•a trailer over 750 kilograms maximum gross weight as long as it is no more than the unladen or 'kerb' weight of the towing vehicle (up to 3,500 kilograms in total)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » trailer/caravan licence (B+E licence) 23 database queries in 0.0089040 seconds