corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » plane geeks in here, 787 content inside

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author plane geeks in here, 787 content inside
ryzer

User status: Offline
16th Feb 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stumbled across this via pistonheads today,

it made me smile, love it when big company's do silly things sometimes.

But this scrawl appearing over a map of the U.S. is in fact the flight path taken by Boeing's 787 Dreamliner during a test-flight.
The 18-hour flight saw the aircraft - said to be Boeing's most fuel-efficient - travelling more than 10,000 miles from Washington State to Iowa as it traced out 787 and the Boeing logo in the skies above the U.S.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2100489/Now-THATS-sky-drawing-Boeing-787-Dreamliner-maps-number-company-logo-10-000-mile-flight-U-S.html#ixzz1mah9laS6
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 12 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's incredible.
noshua

16th Feb 12 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet that beat sitting for 7 hours flying to America in one direction
ed

17th Feb 12 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
He added that the flight path had been checked with air traffic control centres and the route avoided restricted airspace.

I bet they didn't and I doubt there's much restricted airspace at the altitude they were flying at, controlled on the other hand. /Pedantic.
Rick Draper

17th Feb 12 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet they with the 747-800 was half as efficient as a passenger jet as the 787....
sand-eel

17th Feb 12 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a waste of fuel really...any plane could do that with GPS.
Cybermonkey

17th Feb 12 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
He added that the flight path had been checked with air traffic control centres and the route avoided restricted airspace.

I bet they didn't and I doubt there's much restricted airspace at the altitude they were flying at, controlled on the other hand. /Pedantic.

The service ceiling is still 43,000ft, they would have been around the 40,000ft mark, this is still typical heights for short-range domestic aircraft like the 737. There are absolutely tonnes of air corridors around the area that 787 flew.

Going by the telemetery data, the flight cruising altitude varied between 37,000 and 41,000ft which is smack bam in the height for other cruising aircraft.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE236/history/20120209/2100Z/KBFI/KBFI
Cybermonkey

17th Feb 12 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Bit of a waste of fuel really...any plane could do that with GPS.

It was actually a test flight, not just a bit of tomfoolery. They were running all sorts of diagnostics for a final shakedown of the ETOPS system. This is a planned procedure of running one engine at idle speed for extended periods of time and letting the other engine pick up the slack. It gains certification from the FAA to basically do the big hops across the pacific/atlantic etc etc.
Cybermonkey

17th Feb 12 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
I bet they with the 747-800 was half as efficient as a passenger jet as the 787....

They actually did exactly the same thing with a 747-8 a few months ago http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE523/history/20110802/1330Z/KPAE/KPAE

From reports I read, it did exceedingly well. Remember that the 747-8 runs 4 at a lower thrust rating so slightly better fuel burn compared to the 787. It is still a big beast though, but the swept wing has always aided greatly to the 747's speed and economy. It's still a great design even in 2012 and with modern composites and design input, it is a real competitor to the A380.

ed

17th Feb 12 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

The service ceiling is still 43,000ft, they would have been around the 40,000ft mark, this is still typical heights for short-range domestic aircraft like the 737. There are absolutely tonnes of air corridors around the area that 787 flew.

Going by the telemetery data, the flight cruising altitude varied between 37,000 and 41,000ft which is smack bam in the height for other cruising aircraft.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE236/history/20120209/2100Z/KBFI/KBFI

They would have been in Class A airspace, which is controlled no restricted. They would have filed a flightplan, which isn't asking for permission
Cybermonkey

17th Feb 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imagine lodging that flightplan with AirServices ROFL
SetH

User status: Online
17th Feb 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ROFL @ the CS arm chair aviation experts.

I dont see what the Beef is and think its pretty cool myself but I am just a layman i guess and not a 1337 hax0r aviation analyst.

[Edited on 17-02-2012 by SetH]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » plane geeks in here, 787 content inside 23 database queries in 0.0369148 seconds